PDA

View Full Version : Issue with new card

LA_MERC_goose
March 5th, 2007, 12:12 PM
I'm having issues and it's more than my normal "I'm an idiot" issues.

motherboard: MSI PT880 Neo (v 2.0)
CPU: P4 2.4 mHz
Memory: 2 gig Kingston
Power Supply: BFG 650 watt
Operating System: XP sp 2
old card: BFG GeForce 5500 128 mb AGP

Installed new card, GeForce 7800 GS OC 256 mb GDDR3 AGP. Booted system and the debug lights (on the extra USB ports that come with the board) show red, except the top right, which is green; MSI's website says this
Memory Detection Test
- Testing onboard memory size. The D-LED will hang if the memory module is damaged or not installed properly If I remove the new card and install the old card it comes up fine. Any ideas?

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
March 5th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Clear your bios? Unplug the power cable and remove the mobo battery for 30 seconds. Boot and set your bios to defaults.

Then if that doesn't work, try 1 stick of ram and then the other.

LA_MERC_goose
March 5th, 2007, 12:39 PM
I reset the bios via the jumper on the board - per the MSI web site: Same
Pulled the memory and placed them in one at a time: Same

Still have the same light pattern.

LA_MERC_Onji
March 5th, 2007, 12:43 PM
dumb question, but you do have the molex power cable plugged into the new vid card huh?

LA_MERC_goose
March 5th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Yes, the four prong connector has been connected to the card - without it connected it makes a really annoying high pitch sound - made the dog run.

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
March 5th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Does it not boot and just hang?

LA_MERC_goose
March 5th, 2007, 02:15 PM
It doesn't boot. It's powered on but doesn't do anything.

I was thinking it was this but now I don't think so

Motherboard: One AGP slot supports 8x/4x at 0.8V (AGP 3.0) or 4x at 1.5V (3.3v is not supported)

Card: An available AGP 2.0 slot or higher, AGP 8x/4x compatible

Here's the product spec sheets - I don't see a problem, do you?
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=PT880_Neo-FSR
http://www.bfgtech.com/7800GS_256.html

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
March 5th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Does your bios give you options for the type of AGP card you have installed?

Updated bios? It sounds like maybe a voltage or bios setting.

Is that a VIA chipset?

Do you have the 12v connector plugged into the mobo? Thats the 4 pin connector.

Unplug unneeded devices just for testing. Cd roms, floppy, additional fans..

LA_MERC_goose
March 5th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Yeah, it's a VIA chipset. I updated the BIO from MSI's website. The power supply is a new BFG650 and the voltages are really close ....

They are;
CPU Core: 1.36V
aux: .05V
+3.3: 3.28 V
+5v : 5.05 V
+12v : 11.86V

Yes, the four pin connector is on the board.

The power supply has dual 12V rails - the hard drives and CD ROMs are on one rail and the video card and a case fan are the only things on the other rail.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
March 5th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Do you have access to another machine with an AGP slot.. may test the card to see if causes the same issue in another machine... Possible DOA card??

BTW... Im running and MSI 6570 board. its about 3 years old, probably made around the same time as your board except yours is running Intel.

LA_MERC_goose
March 5th, 2007, 04:55 PM
I do have another comp with an APG but it's nowhere near meeting specs for the card. I thought about it though.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
March 5th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Well. I would offer up my rig as a test, cause it runs fine here.. but your in lake city and im in Timmonsville.. still only a 25 min. drive though. :)

Chi_Townz
March 5th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Well, you all could have a beer while watching the flashing lights...
I say DOA! Return it.

LA_MERC_goose
March 6th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Called BFG - they're RMAing it. This is just lovely.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
March 6th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Called BFG - they're RMAing it. This is just lovely.

Did BFG think it was the card? Or did you try it in another rig?

Rollout
March 6th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Sounded like bad ram on the card, and IT IS lovely that they take it back and replace it at no charge, remember the glass IS half full, ask Andy the words to the song if you have any questions about the 15th and 31st :)

LA_MERC_goose
March 7th, 2007, 07:44 AM
BFG went through a few things with me. Then they wanted to know the motherboard make and model - told them. They asked if I have the usb card with the debug LEDs and I do so they wanted the LED pattern and they got it - it was 5 seconds later he said, 'Yup, it's the card. I'll transfer you to the RMA department.' Shipped it out today - I won't need it next week cause I'll be in Denver - I guess the timing wasn't half bad.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
March 7th, 2007, 04:15 PM
I was kinda thinking it was the card.. Im glad they verfied it for you... and it appears they didnt have any problems with your mother board not being compatable.. Hope the next one works for you :)

LA_MERC_johncst
March 7th, 2007, 04:22 PM
I want mine

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
March 7th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Wow...great to hear you got it figured out...I was scratching my head on that one.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==