PDA

View Full Version : Windows...

LA_MERC_Dirge
January 30th, 2007, 07:13 AM
Okay guys, I need some help/advice. My Windows Xp is acting very screwy. I keep getting random lock-ups. Sometimes in game, sometimes just on desktop. On top of that, I am getting errors that is preventing programs from running. I have always doubted the integrity of my Xp installation, but it has been useable. For example, the disk management feature does not work at all. Anyway, I'm thinking that to get a stable installation, I may have to go ahead and change OS/reformat. Should I take this opportunity to upgrade to Vista? If so, which Vista?

I am running:

AMD64 3200+ Winchester 2.0 GHz
2 GB RAM DDR 400 PC 3200
XFX GeForce 7800 GTX w/ 256 MB GDDR3 PCIEx16
All on a MSI K8N Neo4 Nvidia NFroce4 Ultra Mobo

Thoughts? suggestions?

LA_MERC_Onji
January 30th, 2007, 07:27 AM
personally I would wait for vista atleast until sp1.

Get an old harddrive, put it in as slave. Transfer all the stuff you want to keep to that drive prior to formatting, then just format your main drive and throw xp corporate on there.

but before you do, i would suggest you run http://www.memtest86.com/ on each of your memory modules separately, just so you'll know its not memory related.

vista just seems to be a bloated resource hog right now.

LA_MERC_Diesel
January 30th, 2007, 07:36 AM
ditto...random lockups...are alot of the times caused by RAM hence the name, and could also give you trouble with installations of programs.

LA_MERC_Dirge
January 30th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Where would I get said xp corporate? I already have a seperate HDD for data backup

LA_MERC_Dirge
January 30th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Oh, and I ran memtest a while back and got no errors. I'm telling you, I think it's an XP problem... :(

LA_MERC_Onji
January 30th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Where would I get said xp corporate? I already have a seperate HDD for data backup

grab it from: Drive3/Apps/Windows_XP_SP2_VLM/

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
January 30th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Dirge, after you get a lock up, I would reboot and go into the bios and check the temp of your CPU. Your lockups may be due to inproper cooling.

LA_MERC_Dirge
January 30th, 2007, 08:44 AM
k will do.

LA_MERC_Dirge
January 30th, 2007, 08:45 AM
btw what is a temp level that may be too high?

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
January 30th, 2007, 09:11 AM
What processor do you have?

LA_MERC_Dirge
January 30th, 2007, 09:38 AM
AMD 64 3200+ Winchester 2.0 GHz

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
January 30th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Should be around 30-35 idle. They should not get over 45 and if they do, it could be some of your issues.

LA_MERC_Dirge
January 30th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Okay, so I stressed it at lunch and sure enough... 46 degrees bythe time I got into the BIOS. So I pulled the processor and fan, is it supposed to be fuzzy like moss? lol

I'm going to clean it good with the old air can and try it out later. Thanks for the suggestion.

As for the corporate XP, does it validate fine? If so, is there a way to change mine to it?

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
January 30th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Dirge, make sure you clean the cpu and the base of the heatsink really good and then apply some thermal grease before reinstalling. You can clean them with high-purity isopropyl alcohol or an acetone.

What OS do you have now and where did you get it and the key?

LA_MERC_Dirge
January 30th, 2007, 01:53 PM
I have Windows Xp installed from the old XP w/SP1 iso that was on the ftp. I think I had changed the key a while back using one of your ninja methods. I know the key doesn't pass validation right now.

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
January 30th, 2007, 04:17 PM
No keys really pass validation. Just use validation cracks.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
January 30th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Should be around 30-35 idle. They should not get over 45 and if they do, it could be some of your issues.

DUDE... My 2800 runs that at idle. 46-47 right now as I type with a thermaltake fan running at around 4500 RPM = Medium.. my system dosent seem to give me any issues. ???

LA_MERC_MadMAX
January 30th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Parker - an Athlon 64 is going to run a lot cooler than an Athlon XP - two totally different cores...My 3800X2 is running at 28C

Chi_Townz
January 30th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Dirge, after you get a lock up, I would reboot and go into the bios and check the temp of your CPU. Your lockups may be due to inproper cooling.

Funny you mention that...

After a series of crashes, I started playing BF2 with my top CD drawer opened... Hasn't crashed yet.

Think I have a cooling problem??

LOL

LA_MERC_Dirge
January 30th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Man, I got home and hooked up the newly cleaned CPU & heat sink assembly. Roclking and rolling. Word of caution, make sure the fan cable is firmly seated. I figured that out when I started getting alarms and sirens from my machine. lmao

But when the fan is plugged in... nice and smooth about 34 degrees under load. Thanks Toby, that did the trick great.

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
January 30th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Funny you mention that...

After a series of crashes, I started playing BF2 with my top CD drawer opened... Hasn't crashed yet.

Think I have a cooling problem??

LOL

Opening the side of your case might help out more.. haha

Also, if you heatsink is not properly seated to you cpu, it will cause heat issues. Heat = bad.. cooler = better

Yellow.. Max is right. Different cpu's, different heat specs.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
January 30th, 2007, 08:47 PM
OK fellas, I was little mislead when I read that post, I thought he had a 3200 Athlon XP, not a 3200 Athlon 64. Thats what threw me.

Chi_Townz
January 30th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Opening the side of your case might help out more.. haha

Also, if you heatsink is not properly seated to you cpu, it will cause heat issues. Heat = bad.. cooler = better

Yellow.. Max is right. Different cpu's, different heat specs.

Well, its a factory Dell, its probably too little mem.

LA_MERC_Dirge
January 31st, 2007, 11:59 AM
i would suggest you run http://www.memtest86.com/ on each of your memory modules separately, just so you'll know its not memory related.

Run it seperately? Not on the whole system? This thing takes like 40 minutes to run, right?

LA_MERC_Diesel
January 31st, 2007, 12:05 PM
Well if it is like the windows one, run it with both sticks at first, if you get an error then you can then start testing individual sticks. :dunno:

LA_MERC_Dirge
January 31st, 2007, 01:28 PM
Does it matter if you run the floppy disc one or the windos one?

LA_MERC_Onji
January 31st, 2007, 01:34 PM
i always run the bootable floppy one, if you dont get any errors within a minute, your fine

LA_MERC_YellowDog
January 31st, 2007, 03:41 PM
i always run the bootable floppy one, if you dont get any errors within a minute, your fine

I went through this 2 months ago with the Corsair ram I bought. The Bootable floopy disk version is what you want to run. The windows version is not a true test of your memory from what the Help Forums at corsair told me... I think.. :)

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==