PDA

View Full Version : AGP or PCIe

LA_MERC_johncst
January 25th, 2007, 04:22 PM
what is the dif between them ,because ati sells a radeon 1950 card in AGP
give advice on this:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

LA_MERC_LaTech
January 25th, 2007, 04:24 PM
As I understand it, it's two completely different types of video cards. If your motherboard supports AGP, it more than likely doesn't support PCI-e (which is newer than AGP).

AGP is the older standard of graphic card. It's dated, but still functioning.

PCi-e (PCI Express) is much newer and will be where all the higher end video cards go from now on.

Again, it depends on your motherboard

LA_MERC_YellowDog
January 25th, 2007, 04:41 PM
As I understand it, it's two completely different types of video cards. If your motherboard supports AGP, it more than likely doesn't support PCI-e (which is newer than AGP).

AGP is the older standard of graphic card. It's dated, but still functioning.

PCi-e (PCI Express) is much newer and will be where all the higher end video cards go from now on.

Again, it depends on your motherboard

Agreed..

Are you looking to upgrade motherboard as well?

If so, then go with PCI-e, like Tech said, its the lastest and greatest for gaming.
If your stuck with an AGP motherboard like I am... then dont go out and buy a real expensive AGP card if you can find one that is... its an outdated technology, and your money wont be well spent.

Rollout
January 25th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Even though the motherboard manufacturers rave about PCI-e, the tests of AGP vs PCI-e show no decernable difference in frame rate or picture quality.

But if your mother board is an AGP socket you must get AGP card and the same is true for PCI-e. So as Yellow stated, if you just want a better picture with your current board the 1950 would be good.

Good sites for card reviews include Tomshardwareguide, HardOCP, 3Dchipset, Guru3d, Rage3D and Anandtech. Andy is a good resource also!

Good Luck!

Chi_Townz
January 25th, 2007, 06:07 PM
If you upgrade the MB, make sure its cross fire compatible.. Ask Wetz, he has one... Extreme Hotness.

LA_MERC_Spark
January 25th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Piss on ati... their driver support and catalyst poo butt software are crap and have directly lead to several problems with both my comps in house and on the job. PCIe is the standard. It is hard to find any good mobos with agp. I have three comp all running nVidia. two agp and one PCIe. I chose XFX for my cards. They have gotten consistant reviews, and they generally give you a lot of xtra schwag with your card. Their support is OK. I had one of my high dollar 7800GTX cards fail, and because they were having trouble getting one the upgraded me to the 7900 gtx. Not only that... I had TWO 7800's in sli. since you can't mix match gpu's they sent me two 7900 GTX 512's. Now I did have to ride their arse for a few months, but they came through in the end.

Chi_Townz
January 25th, 2007, 10:24 PM
I have to agree with spark, nVidia is better.. I was pro ATI for a while there but the last card I had total y suked... constant freezing and the like. Go nVidia as high as you can with AGP. If you can aford a new machine with PCI slots, then do that.

Like I was saying, I bought mine at Dell outlet for 600... I didn't feel like building another one. Plus it comes with warentee's(3 years) well, I had to pay a bit extra, but if it fails....I get a new machine. AND like spark, probably an upgrade sine by then, it will be out of date.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==