PDA

View Full Version : AMD

LA_MERC_Shadow
January 7th, 2007, 10:52 AM
I was wondering if there is any real reason to go with the AMD am2 chipset over the 939 at this point. I think I'm going to put together a new computer so any advice would be appreciated.

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
January 7th, 2007, 12:43 PM
The AM2 has a few small advantages but the major advantage is being able to upgrade more in the future. 939 will start to fade out.

The again, when looking at a comparison. Intel duo's are actually performing better than AMD

LA_MERC_Captain_Obvious
January 7th, 2007, 02:08 PM
True Dat. and pricing is almost the same.

LA_MERC_Spark
January 8th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Rgr that..intel benches blew AMD away.. If I were going to build a super rig today it would be Intel powered. Not to say that AMD has thrown in the towel by any means. They'll be out with something uber, but it won't be 939. As stated above they have designed and released the last 939 chip. That being said. There's a lot of computing power in the current 939 chips, and it MAY save you a bit of cash. I know the proc prices are pretty close, but there may be some play in there. I have a 4800 X2 that, so far, has performed wonderfully and should be able to keep up with software for some time. In other words, when it is no longer useful I'll be ready to start with a completely new system anyway so CPU upgrade issues won't be a problem.

LA_MERC_Shadow
January 8th, 2007, 08:49 AM
So it would be cool to go with a am2 so that I can upgrade when they come out with something new I'd be able to run it. But the difference was really that big b/w the amd and intel? Do you think it's really worth it to pay the extra cash for the intel?

Also is it worth it to do the RAID and what RAID config should I get? Now this computer will be totally for gaming nothing else. I'm gonna keep my other rig for everything else.

LA_MERC_Captain_Obvious
January 8th, 2007, 01:01 PM
The intel is not that much more, just $39.

AMD X2 5200 = $279
Core2Duo 6600 = $318

I've always been an AMD fan, but the Core2Duo is a much better performer. maybe when AMD comes out with it's quad core (on the same chip, not 4X4 like they have now) and uses 65nm they will take back the performance crown, but right now Intel has the best performance for about the same cost.

just make sure you get a good chipset to put the cpu on. stay with 965 / 975 / nForce 680i

LA_MERC_Dirge
January 8th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Bring back Vaccum tubes!!!!

LA_MERC_Spark
January 8th, 2007, 06:49 PM
lol...CO is correct... I just hate the fact that I spent 5 grand on a rig not a year ago and it is already been suplanted by teh uberness.... life sucks on the bleeding edge :(

LA_MERC_YellowDog
January 8th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Well I have the most Uber DOOBER System of all time

GET THIS FELLAS...

1. AMD 2800+ O.C'ed to 3000+

2. 2 Gb of Corsair 3200 DDR Ram

3. A Gigabyte 128 MB G force 6800 Gt Graphics Card

4. MSI 400 Mhz FSB, Nividia 2 Chipset.

And to save the best for last... A HAMPSTER ON STERIODS running carbon fiber cage Wheel!!!

TOP THAT YA PUNKAS!!!!!

OK, OK, Maybe 3 years ago it was... but... One time... It was..LOL

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==