PDA

View Full Version : Dead computer

LA_MERC_Nutria
December 28th, 2006, 06:40 AM
I am thinking I need a new motherboard. Last night while trying to play BF2 I noticed missing textures on the map. As soon as I saw that it rebooted. I tried again to play BF2. This time it restarts as soon as I hit 'join'. Try running a different game, same thing. Swap video cards, no video. Swap to a third card, no video. Swap RAM, no video. Now when I hit the power button the power light and 'working' light comes on and nothing happens... they just stay on. What do you guys think?

LA_MERC_LaTech
December 28th, 2006, 07:26 AM
Could be any number of things...honestly. Open up the case and look at the motherboard...if you see bubbled capacitors, that's it.

Artifacts (like what you are describing) are usually video card related...or have been when I've seen them (mine was ebcause my card was cooking itself because the fan stopped!). Put the original video card back in there and check to see if the fan spins...

LA_MERC_Nutria
December 28th, 2006, 07:39 AM
I swapped video cards and got the same results. I am thinking the video input may be done. I checked the capacitors... didnt see any visible damage though

LA_MERC_Wetzny
December 28th, 2006, 07:41 AM
Damn that sucks! And you were getting so GOOD! MEDIC!!! Can I get a MEDIC! over HERE!

Srry I know this doesn't help....

Chi_Townz
December 28th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Just get a new one... :o)

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/topics/global.aspx/arb/online/en/InventorySearch?c=us&cs=22&l=en&lob=DIM&MODEL_DESC=XPS%20410&s=dfh

Chi_Townz
December 28th, 2006, 01:30 PM
WOW!!!
XPS 410
(System Identifier: EJ9TEBEK)

* XPS 410 Mini-Tower: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6300 (1.86GHz, 1066 FSB)
* Genuine Windows XP Media Center 2005

System Price : $599.00

Operating System
Genuine Windows XP Media Center 2005Memory
1 GB DDR2 NON-ECC SDRAM 533MHz (2 DIMMs)Floppy Drive
1.44 MB Floppy Disk DriveHard Disk Drive
250 GB EIDE SATA II Hard Drive (7200 RPM)Video
256MB nVidia Geforce 7300LE TurboCacheModem
56K DataFax ModemCertified Refurbished
Certified RefurbishedBase
XPS 410 Mini-Tower: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6300 (1.86GHz, 1066 FSB)Media Bay
16X DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capabilitySoftware Upgrade
Trend Micro PC-cillin with AntiVirus and Spyware removal 15-monthsHardware Upgrade
Dell Optical USB 2-button Mouse
Software
Software
Sonic Cineplayer
Music Match 10.1 Software
Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Reader
ISP Search Assist
ONLINE TRAINING
Image Restore Software
Support Software
Wild Tangent Gaming Client
Net Zero ISP
ISP Software
Microsoft Works 8.5
AOL ISP Software
Earthlink ISP Software
Photo Album 6.0 Starter
AOL ISP Software
Resource CD
Dell Direct Download
Service Software
Operating System CD
Dell 924 Printer Driver
Roxio Creator, My DVD LE
AOL 9.0 ISP Software
Windows Media Player
AOL 9.0 ISP Software
Resource CDMisc
USB Keyboard
Shipping Material
Processor Label
Floppy Drive Cable
Hardware is Microsoft Vista Capable
XPS 410
AOL Software Documentation
No Raid
No Speakers

LA_MERC_Diesel
December 28th, 2006, 02:40 PM
I just joined the 24" LCD crew... got the new Gateway 24" like it alot, very similar to the Dell.
:blue
If only BF2 did not have such shiotty support and it would support widescreen!!!!

LA_MERC_Nutria
December 28th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Well with Sparks help I ordered a mobo. Hopefully it solves my prob.

LA_MERC_Onji
December 28th, 2006, 03:02 PM
I just joined the 24" LCD crew... got the new Gateway 24" like it alot, very similar to the Dell.
:blue
If only BF2 did not have such shiotty support and it would support widescreen!!!!

I feel your pain man. I dont know if you already knew this but, there is a little cheating way around it. Edit your bf2 shortcut and add:

+zsx 1920 +zsy 1200 to the end

for example: c:\games\bf2\bf2.exe +zsx 1920 +zsy 1200

Change the values to whatever your resolution is. It may work in bf2142 too.

This doesn't make it wide screen, but atleast it'll fit your entire monitor.

LA_MERC_Spark
December 28th, 2006, 03:20 PM
um...I dont get it...mine plays fine... did I miss something?

LA_MERC_Onji
December 28th, 2006, 03:25 PM
i wanted to be able to set my bf2 resolution to my monitors native resolution. In bf2, it does not allow you to go that high. Using the above method, you can force it to.

LA_MERC_Wetzny
December 28th, 2006, 03:35 PM
i wanted to be able to set my bf2 resolution to my monitors native resolution. In bf2, it does not allow you to go that high. Using the above method, you can force it to.

Why is that important for people who no longer play BF2?? Eh? Explain that? :stick (No names mentioned to protect the innocent MMORPG'ERS)

LA_MERC_Onji
December 28th, 2006, 04:04 PM
actually i quit wow about a month ago. been playing the wii too much lol. i logged into ts a few days ago while you guys were playing, and said hey like 4 times, but yall were too into the game and didnt hear me hehe

Chi_Townz
December 28th, 2006, 07:26 PM
http://boobz.akiraweb.com/animatedboobs.com-107.gif

LA_MERC_Wetzny
December 29th, 2006, 07:21 AM
actually i quit wow about a month ago. been playing the wii too much lol. i logged into ts a few days ago while you guys were playing, and said hey like 4 times, but yall were too into the game and didnt hear me hehe

Man, Sorry to hear we missed or dissed you, UNINTENTIONAL. BTW you're not the first person to stop in to say Hi and find we can't hear you. Sling mentioned it also, could there be an update someone is missing??? Anyway try again some time you know where to find us. :devil

LA_MERC_Diesel
December 29th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Thanks O, now I can join these bums, and see their deaths in all it's beauty! :p:
or mine!!

LA_MERC_Nutria
January 3rd, 2007, 05:41 AM
Good news.. I got the mobo in and installed it...
Bad news... it still ain't werkin.
Next on the list... new processor.

LA_MERC_Wetzny
January 3rd, 2007, 06:26 AM
Good news.. I got the mobo in and installed it...
Bad news... it still ain't werkin.
Next on the list... new processor.

Oh... that sucks, sorry to hear the mobo wasn't the solution.

LA_MERC_Dirge
January 3rd, 2007, 06:33 AM
Blame Spark! :stick

LA_MERC_Andyconda
January 3rd, 2007, 07:35 AM
Damn, I hope you get it going soon Nutria. You're a blast to have in BF2. Sorry that we didn't hear you Darren. Please try again, we miss you guys. BF2 is so much fun. Especially when we have tons of MERC's playing. Here lately we have had some 12+ nights where we actually fill up 2 whole squads. Good stuff.

LA_MERC_Nutria
January 13th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Ok fellas.. I am back up and running. It was a short running from the motherboard to the mounting. Replaced a couple of paper gaskets and it's running like a clock. Thank everyone for the input, offers to help and the actual help to get me set up again. See you guys in BF2 soon.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==