PDA

View Full Version : DAWN OF WAR (Dark Crusade)

Daedelus
November 24th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Hey there guys i just thought i would ask. I know we had a few people that where playing alot of DOW back in the day and they just put out a new(stand alone) add on called dark crusade. i ran down and bought it for like 29 bucks so far it pretty cool. 2 new races, one is sort of like a japaneese anima robot race called the Tao and they have souldiers sort of like the eldar but have mechs for there tanks and arty. and also a race of carnivor/ animal type race that are allied with the tao so you can use the regular robot souldiers to long range and use the animal guys for the close range attacks. a small tutorial wals you threw how to use there troop style.
The second race is suppossed to be like a 1/2 terminator 1/2 necromancer type robots. i thought they had a real terminator look to them but appartly when they die they have a chance to come back to life and start fighting again.Looked really neat but havnt delved to much into them yet.
3 interesting things they added if you have origonal dawn of war(space marines/chaos marines/orc's & eldar) and winter assault pack(with the imperial guard) and this pack with tao and necros you will have 7 diffrent races to use in multiplayer games.
sucks for me i cant find my old DOW cd and with new comp i dont have it installed so i can only play necros and tao)
But good news they added a new campain mode that dosnt just follow one race threw a story line.Instead they have one planet with like 27 diffrent zones(maps) and you can take command of any of the 7 races and play the campaign with them it sort of a risk style map where you attack neighboring states and try and whip out an oppsing races (home state) it will effectivly remove the from the campaign and you can easily mop up the remaining states they had in there control at the time of there defeat.
now most maps play like a typical skirmish map with random point to capture etc. but the home/capital for each race is a huge scripted map with ambushes and rushes at begining of the round and objectives to complete. once you win the map they are toast.

3rd thing added in was because you have a risk style map some teritorys have bonuses for capturing them and offer a bonus to your race to use threw out the campaing. example one state has a space port and who ever hold it allow the holder to do attacks vs any territory on the campaign(an orbital assault) you dont have to be bordering the country. also another territory gives you the bonus to be able to attack twice a round etc.
on defensive side as you counqure territories and turns/rounds go bye you get resource point to spend on re-inforcing territorys you all read own and you can some times buy extra troops for your attacking army called honor guard. So they guys you bought to re-inforce a territory you main army is not in will get to start the round(defense mode) with the troops alread availible and you wont have to build up alot. you start with them. same on atack mode when you main army starts the roound rather that starting with just a builder and hero only you can start with troops. now i my case i won from capturing a territory a veteran space marine, now i thought it was going to be a whole squad but it was just one guy like your hero but they are almost like heros super fire power and health points.

In between attack turns you buy your re-inforcments and honor guard you now also get victory points that you can use to beef up your hero and make him more stronger. so far my space marine hero i got him plasma pistols (increased long range dammage) and heros pauldrens(shoulder pads) giving more health and spent a point to get a personal teleport pack on my hero so i can teleport out of danger or TP in behind enemy lines( over walls etc)

so far only thing i can find i dont like is they cange the game play a bit. used to be you could upgrade the predator tanks from regular machine guns to the double lase guns now the are no upgrade the automatically have them. also i used to be able to have no other armor vehicles and save all my armor points for 2-3 of the (uber tank)cant remeber the name. but new rules only allow you to have 1 out at a time and the smaller tank you used to be able to buy maybe like 5 but now are limited to only 2 at a time.they thing pissed me off the most was old DOW you could place mass turrets every where in range of one of you listening posts or HQ. i used to love doing a box of anti infantry turrets around my listning posts and a smaller inner box with the upgraded missle long range turrets. but check this out now you are limited you can ONLY HAVE 6 turrets out at one time. that sucks only good thing is before where you where limited by a radius around the LP's now you can place them ANYWHERE aslong as you can see the area (fog of war) you can build there. so in a sense it great for palceing them in stategic loacations and choke points. But i found my self making a front line at chock points and as i moved forward i would have to use the (delete key) to remove them and rebuild closer to front line as needed. witch lead to problems if some one finds away around you front line the have free range to move into you back fild area and attack for LP's that arnt protected by alot of turrets.

OK never meant to make this post this long but was very excited to get this info out to you guys to see if any one is playing or to peak your interest into buying it as its stand alone game.

:thanks4

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==