PDA

View Full Version : Computer Rebooting - Aggravated

LA_MERC_Maverick
November 2nd, 2006, 07:45 AM
Hey guys, I have a question.

Recently, as in the last week, my computer has suddenly started giving me random BSODs. Most of them are "STOP ntfs.sys" or "STOP win32k.sys.", which really doesn't tell you anything about what might be causing the problem.

I've checked in the Event log, but there are no reported errors. Its also not creating a minidump (although I dont know if it does it by default or if this is something I have to turn on.)

I reformatted yesterday, completely reinstalled everything, my computer did not give me any trouble, ran like a champ. I decided to hop on a BF2 server (figured out why I was getting kicked by Punkbuster the other night as well :D), played for about 15 minutes, and then BAM, I'm back in reboot hell. Now, its not just games that are causing the reboot (or I would think it was vid related). It can reboot before the login screen, it will reboot after logging in, it will reboot while I'm searching the net for answers, pretty much any time it feels froggy.

I'm pretty sure I have a some piece of hardware failing, but not sure how to determine what it could be. If it did it everytime I did something particular (ie games) then it would be easier, but this sporadic rebooting is a pain to troubleshoot. I'm not sure if its the mem/vid/harddrive/psu. I thought it might be heat related, but I checked the temps for system and cpu in the bios and they were hovering around 40 C, which I think is acceptable. Also, I checked the GPU in the Nvidia control panel, it hovers around 48 C everytime I check, either after a reboot, or after playing a game for 10 min. I also took the pc outside and took a can of air to it to blow all the dust out (at first I thought that this was my problem, yikes that was some dust!!!) but that does not appear to have alleviated my problem.

Anyway, if any of you have any suggestiongs, I'm all ears.

Specs:
Windows XP Pro
Athlon 64 3400+
DFI Lanparty UT NF3/250gb
Corsair 1gb PC3200
BFG 6800GT OC
WD Raptor 36gb hard drive (wd 200 gb ide for data)
Audigy 4
Thermaltake Tsunami with 400w psu

LA_MERC_Spark
November 2nd, 2006, 08:10 AM
I have had BSOD problems here at the office. Two of them were HDD and one turned out to be MEM. Have you run any MEM test yet? If not that would be something to try, though it has been my experience that with MEM problems you get a lot of other problems besides BSOD. I would look real closely at the HDD. Load the WD tools and check the HDD for errors. It may or may not find a problem. I have had one older drive pass the test, but still give me random problems. I was able to confirm that the drive was bad by swaping it with a new one and running it for a while. Do you have a spare HDD? If so, I would give that a try first.

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
November 2nd, 2006, 08:11 AM
Maybe your processor is overheating. When the computer restarts, go straight into bios and check the temp of your CPU. You might need to remove the heatsink and slap on some thermal paste to help keep it cool.

It could also been some sort of ram issue so you might want to run a through ram test.

LA_MERC_Maverick
November 2nd, 2006, 09:13 AM
Spark - thanks for the tip about the wd tools, I had forgotten about those, Ill try that tonight.

I did run the Windows chkdsk /r on all drives, and it didnt report any errors, but that could be inconclusive.

Toby - Ill check on the CPU temp next time it reboots on me, that was something I was concerned about, but kept forgetting to check.

So far as the memory, my motherboard bios has a built in MemTest86+, but every time I enable it, my computer gets stuck in a constant reboot cycle until I turn it back off. Im not sure if that is a problem with the version in the bios or the memory.

I dont have a floppy drive in the computer, so Ill prolly try to find something that I can make a bootable cd and try it. I found one here http://www.ubcd4win.com/ that I was going to try when I get off work tonight.

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
November 2nd, 2006, 09:27 AM
http://www.memtest86.com/

LA_MERC_Maverick
November 2nd, 2006, 10:08 AM
lol, didnt even notice they had an iso image on their site.....doh!

thx

LA_MERC_YellowDog
November 2nd, 2006, 04:29 PM
Could it be the MOBO.. When my MSI board started dying on me, I thought it was the Vid card, AGP slot, so I ran a PCI vid card for a while, work for a day or 2, then starred locking up again. so one piece at a time I eliminated problems... Even upgraded the PSU. the board finaly got to where it would not even past post if I had to many things added to it. Got a new MOBO.... Problem solved.

LA_MERC_Maverick
November 2nd, 2006, 04:55 PM
not really sure what it could be. the nic on the mobo has already failed. I've been thinking about RMA'ing it back to DFI, just wanted to check all the other components as much as possible before I did that.

I've also been looking at building a new pc, but unfortunately, the cash flow does not support that kind of expenditure at this time...lol.

LA_MERC_Spark
November 2nd, 2006, 05:39 PM
did you run the mem test?

LA_MERC_Spark
November 2nd, 2006, 05:41 PM
oh...btw DFI = stay away... I had 1 fail after 3 mos... it's replacement was DOA, and the third actually went out in a semi blaze after about 6 mos.... never again i say.

LA_MERC_Maverick
November 2nd, 2006, 07:33 PM
ok, just ran the WD test and the memtest, harddrives checked out.

mem, however, failed test 5 on 2 runs, giving 3164 errors. I guess that means I have bad memory.

Well, at least thats easy enough to replace.

LA_MERC_Maverick
November 2nd, 2006, 07:35 PM
ive actually had good luck with DFI, ive had 2 boards from them, one i bought off ebay that I had to RMA, but the replacement is still kicking as far as I know (sold it to a friend whose still running it). This one I've had for 2 years, and the only problem was the onboard nic, which I'm not sure that a power surge caused.

LA_MERC_Spark
November 2nd, 2006, 09:26 PM
sweet... new ram

LA_MERC_Andyconda
November 3rd, 2006, 08:26 AM
DFI board, all be it look spectacular, ARE CRAP. The only stable tough die hard secure boards I've ever run are MSI and ASUS.

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
November 3rd, 2006, 08:38 AM
ok, just ran the WD test and the memtest, harddrives checked out.

mem, however, failed test 5 on 2 runs, giving 3164 errors. I guess that means I have bad memory.

Well, at least thats easy enough to replace.

Remove 1 stick and run the test again. Swap the sticks out and run the test a third time. You might have 1 bad stick or 2, you never know.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
November 3rd, 2006, 08:44 AM
Do an Andyconda type restart.....

Turn off computer......
Unplug it that is faster.....
Take out to nearest freeway......
Leave along side road.......
Get in truck and proceed to hit it at 80+ mph......
DONOT stop.....
Drive to nearest Comp Hardware store and purchase.....
Best board....
Two best vid cards.....
Two best HDD.....
a gazillion inch monitor......
rad sound card.....
whatever else best you can......
Go home and assemble.....
Load with all d/l'd cracked programs that argue to update.....
Post on forums for Onji or Toby to fix......
Log on and shoot at Nutria in BF2.....
Problem solved!

LA_MERC_Maverick
November 3rd, 2006, 11:43 AM
yeah, toby, I thought about that, however, the memory has a lifetime warrently, so I'm going to RMA them back to corsair (already started the RMA process) and get replacements. I'm also going to RMA the motherboard back to DFI as well, since the nic doesnt work and this prohibits me from using the onboard firewall (which is actually pretty awesome). Since the computer is going to be down for the memory rma, might as well get the other fixed while I'm at it.

I have a "spare" (was free from work) computer that i got, which just needs a hard drive (which I picked up today). Im going to install it and then see what other kind of problems it has. If everything checks out and boots up, I'll install windows on it and work with it until I get the mobo and memory back from the manufacturers.

It was cheaper to buy a small (120g...lmao) hard drive for $50 than it was to buy replacement memory, especially since I could replace it for free from corsair. Besides, for $50 i get two working computers instead of one working computer for $90-160 (the cost of replacement memory).

Thanks for the help guys :D

rook, i was planning to do that very thing, but my fiancee (yes, im getting married in June :D) talked me out of it. Stupid woman logic ("you can fix it for free, but you want to spend money for a new one!!! are you crazy!!") I'm like, "Yeah", and she said "No, I dont think so." Sigh, women.

LA_MERC_Spark
November 3rd, 2006, 03:28 PM
Remove 1 stick and run the test again. Swap the sticks out and run the test a third time. You might have 1 bad stick or 2, you never know.

Hmmm... I usu. don't swap em around just because they are matched pair and will be replaced free. On another note... It is funny to see that it is corsair. I have had to RMA the same RAM twice. Two different mobo's with the same ram. Anyone else have corsair?

LA_MERC_Maverick
November 3rd, 2006, 07:34 PM
i actually did the test and discovered that I only had one bad stick of ram, so im going to run that this weekend and send it all in on monday for replacement.

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
November 4th, 2006, 07:05 AM
I haveCosair RAM and it's runningfine for over 6 months.

LA_MERC_LaTech
November 4th, 2006, 08:54 AM
Corsair XMS memory for over a year now with no problems.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
November 4th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Hmmm... I usu. don't swap em around just because they are matched pair and will be replaced free. On another note... It is funny to see that it is corsair. I have had to RMA the same RAM twice. Two different mobo's with the same ram. Anyone else have corsair?

LOL... I just installed 2 gb of 400 mhz pc3200 corsair ram... the twinx2048 - 3200cpt

I either have a Mother board compatability problem, or have an issue with the memory.. BF2 crashes after a few min. I got the settings correct in BIOS... 2.5 3-3-6, and voltage 2.7... it ran better for a while... but then out of the blue... BAM!!! Blue sreen of death :(

Running memtest as I type.

LA_MERC_Maverick
November 4th, 2006, 07:29 PM
ive actually had this ram for 2 years with no problems :D first ive ever had with any memory ive owned

LA_MERC_Maverick
November 6th, 2006, 08:53 AM
well, bought the hard drive to go in the other computer, and found out that the motherboard on that computer is toast.

So, I took the hard drive back, picked up the new Splinter Cell game for the xbox, and will be entertained that way until my computer is fixed...lol

Daedelus
November 6th, 2006, 09:14 PM
when my computer kept giving me problems rebooting on it own and then some times the comp would start i could hear it but but just a black screen it ended up being my video card. i still have to RMA that back to new egg. but i forget about it now that i have a new comp.

LA_MERC_Maverick
November 7th, 2006, 08:05 AM
well, after i took out the offending memory, i am able to play and work on my computer with no problems (other than being choked down when playing warcraft because it doesnt have the memory its used to..lol). Its been running and playing since friday night with no random bsods or reboots.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==