PDA

View Full Version : ATI??

Chi_Townz
October 29th, 2006, 02:10 PM
I dunno.... I was a big fan till last night.

I’ve been having a few issues with my PC lately so I thought Id try some tweaks..

I did some, which didn’t really do any good, since my machine boots pretty fast anyway.
Then I was following the guide for tweaking my card. Well, when I bought the thing, I assumed it had the control center installed... I tried to get it to run but to no avail.. Anyway, I went to ATI, DLed the software w/.net stuff. Started it up, tweaked a little. Worked ok till I tried to run BF2.

Prog. Started then crashed, I thought what the hell. UN did all my tweaks, still crash. OMG this sucks!!

Ok, so I uninstalled all ATI as well as .net. AND uninstalled the card. Restarted.. For the heck of it, I ran BF2. Works fine...

So....what good is the software to control the card if it doesn’t work on your fav. game..

I knew something was up when I ran the DX diag and the 3D failed... In the spinning cube with the DX logo on it, all I saw was the cube, but it was spinning so fast, you couldn’t tell what it was.

If anyone has a suggestion, let me know.

I plan on buying a better card soon, but it may be a while.

Here is what I have..
XPS 400
Pentium D Processor 820 with Dual Core Technology (2.80GHz, 800FSB)
Genuine Windows XP Media Center 2005
1 GB DDR2 NON-ECC SDRAM 533MHz (2 DIMMs)
160 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
128MB PCI Express ATI Radeon X300 SE
16X DVD ROM Drive
16X DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capability

emt736
October 29th, 2006, 03:54 PM
i have the same problem with my ati card. what did you do step by step if yopu dont mind me asking? it drives me nuts :(
Jason

LA_MERC_YellowDog
October 29th, 2006, 04:20 PM
GO NIVIDIA... problem solved :).. J/K..

The only experience I had with ATI was a long time ago, and it Sucked then,,,
Went Nvidia, and havent had a problem since.

Chi_Townz
October 29th, 2006, 08:39 PM
To fix it? which wasnt a fix but...
Un-install anything ATI related and uninstalled the card as well. rebooted and let Windows take over.

Like I said, its not a fix, just a patch so I can play.

As for the screw up??
The original drivers were windows defaults. I added the Catalist, .net 2.0 and made sure the DX was upto date. Maybe cuz I have a low end card right now... ATI X300 SE

Dont get me wrong, the Catalist worked, its just BF2 wouldnt run.

Im going back to ATI and ask them what I did wrong.

Maybe your right Dog... Nvidia may be the way to go. But I guess it all depends on what i can get for my buck at the time of purchase....lol

Chi_Townz
October 29th, 2006, 08:42 PM
shoot, maybe Ill go back to my old 9600...lol

LA_MERC_MadMAX
October 29th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Technically - your 9600 would be a better card than an x300SE!!!

LA_MERC_Spark
October 30th, 2006, 08:09 AM
ATI cards blow.... period. I Have had 3 of them just stop working after a month in service. Not to mention all kinds of troubles with the drivers. The last 9 rigs I've put together have had 0 problems minus PEBKAC's, and the main difference is nVida graphics cards. The way I solved most of the problems i've had at work with ATI is to uninstall all of the crap and install the driver ONLY. Forget all the silly catalyst control panel/hydro vision trash. It r worse than creative labs software, and that is bad.

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
October 30th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Don't install the ATI Control panel. You can download and install the ATI drivers without the ATI control panel.

The X300se is a very low end card and not really much of a gaming video card. I'd try to find another video card as soon as possible as you will continue to have problems with new games running that card.

LA_MERC_Nutria
October 30th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Yeah I have a ATI and everytime I installed the extra sh!t I would get problems

LA_MERC_Andyconda
October 30th, 2006, 09:56 AM
My last experiences with ATI was back in the Rage 128 days. I had tons of problems then and made my switch to Nvidia. No problems since. Viva la Vidia, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Chi_Townz
October 30th, 2006, 10:50 AM
RGR that ya all!
As soon as I get paid, Im going to have to beg my wife for $200....

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
October 30th, 2006, 12:24 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130056

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150183

Chi_Townz
November 2nd, 2006, 06:30 AM
how about this one?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7907811&type=product&id=1149206843643&ref=10&loc=01

LA_MERC_johncst
November 2nd, 2006, 07:25 AM
that will work but for the money get one of the ones toby put up it's not that much more money

Chi_Townz
November 19th, 2006, 12:11 AM
Ok, this is what I have now.....Like an 1D10T, I got greedy and bought a ATI X1300 / 512 mb ram...(it was on sale) GOD IT SUCKED!! Returned it for the below....

BFG Tech BFGR76256GTOCE GeForce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

Chipset Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Core clock: 580MHz (vs 560MHz std)
DirectX: DirectX 9
DVI: 2
Memory Clock: 1450MHz (vs 1400MHz std)
Memory Interface: 128-bit
OpenGL: OpenGL 2.0
PixelPipelines: 12
TV-Out: HDTV Out
VIVO: No

Its almost identical to the second one Toby put up... Best Buy, same price.

It seems to do ok, I can see alot clearer.. maybe some more mem. or some thing.

Does anyone know if the Intel Duel cores cause issues?

occasionaly my machine is still jumpy, course it could be my dial up DSL...LOL

LA_MERC_YellowDog
November 19th, 2006, 09:01 AM
So you went with the BFG 7600 Gt Nvidia, Sounds like a good decision :)

Im guessing you got a a fairly fast setup as it is. If your still getting some choppiness, bet its conncetion.

Is there anything you can do to improve your games upload and download..
I remember in counter strike there were options in the console to adjust diffrrent rates to smooth out the games performance as far as the conection went.

LA_MERC_WBHighwind
November 19th, 2006, 01:54 PM
I have that card and it does good for what it is and how much I payed for it. I would like to get something better, but since Im still stuck with a mobo that has an AGP slot in it (4x at that), I would need to upgrade my mobo to get anything substantially better.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==