PDA

View Full Version : Wiping the slate.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
September 18th, 2006, 01:12 PM
What is the best way to completely clean my comps hard drive?, and What do I need to be careful of?

If I completely format, what do I need to back up on DVD/CD, etc...

I want to wipe the slate clean. I was like a kid in a candy store and gobbled up everything I could, and now realize that it was useless and done in vain. I just want to start fresh.

Thanks in advance.

Robby

LA_MERC_LaTech
September 18th, 2006, 01:27 PM
I have a disk called KillDisk that wipes a HDD clean...supposedly. You can also do a low level format (in the bios) and that will take care of a lot of stuff. Do it a couple times to be sure. It takes forever.

As for what you need to backup, put stuff on a DVD or whatever...but realize that programs that you back up aren't going to work due to the registry and stuff. I usually back up pictures, music and the like to a spare HDD and then wipe and reinstall. I do this about once a year.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
September 18th, 2006, 01:30 PM
I was going to copy pics, docs, and programs I want to save over to a dvd or cd, and I wanted to completely wipe it clean. I just wanted to make sure exactly how to execute, and that Windows would be okay. I was also thinking of trying out Vista on my comp. Watcha y'all think. I am starting to sound like a cheap version of Andy.....ugh.

LA_MERC_LaTech
September 18th, 2006, 01:40 PM
I have vista on DVD and 2 keys!

LA_MERC_Diesel
September 18th, 2006, 02:17 PM
If you can not even run BF2..or so I remember you saying, I think vista would be an abomination on your pc, per early reviews.

but yes burn your pics docs, and zipped d/l files for programs, bookmarks, and address book as well.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
September 18th, 2006, 02:31 PM
I can run everything except the vid card for BF2.

I have a series of card that is not supported and I am to cheap to upgrade to another card that will work. I want to upgrade to a new comp eventually. I have a 9200 series card that freezes at onset of the game. I ran the video fine up to that point. I was told that it was the 9200 series cards that all did that. When it happened I had already upgraded alot and said f*ck it and didn't purchase another card. I may soon, who knows. I am trying to weasel a comp from sLing that will run it.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
September 18th, 2006, 03:05 PM
What is a Windows Vista Capable PC?
A new PC that carries the Windows Vista Capable PC logo can run Windows Vista. All editions of Windows Vista will deliver core experiences such as innovations in organizing and finding information, security, and reliability. All Windows Vista Capable PCs will run these core experiences at a minimum. Some features available in the premium editions of Windows Vista—like the new Windows Aero user experience—may require advanced or additional hardware.

A Windows Vista Capable PC includes at least:

A modern processor (at least 800MHz1).
512 MB of system memory.
A graphics processor that is DirectX 9 capable.

I have:

2.66 GHz
1 gig RAM
Radeon 9250 vid card

LA_MERC_Diesel
September 18th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Right that is the minimum requirements, give it a try and let everyone know, how it runsa on that, it will give everyone an idea, since Andy's could run it with one stick of ram in his back :p:

Skitz or Target I think, have been tinkering with it and could provide better answers.

LA_MERC_Diesel
September 18th, 2006, 03:23 PM
BTW the latest drivers and the past ones, never addressed your cards issues and BF2?
That is a 3 generation ago, low range card, but you would think they could fix that?
No real surprise of course, that is why after my 9800XT computer I went back to Nvidia :)

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
September 18th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Will do........LaTech I need the discs and key buddy.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
September 18th, 2006, 03:25 PM
lol @ card.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
September 18th, 2006, 03:25 PM
What do you rec. for a vid card for this comp.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
September 18th, 2006, 11:14 PM
See y'all on the other side. I hope!?!

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
September 18th, 2006, 11:25 PM
DVD did not work....darnit! Also download site said ain't gonna give it to ya.

LA_MERC_Sabre
September 19th, 2006, 05:38 AM
whatever you do...make sure you copy your address book and back up al your emails. I've lost some important information because of not doing that.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
September 19th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Here is waht I came to find out after doing some digging:

My wittle comp can run all of it but the Aero 3D flip technology. I need atleast an ATI 9500 series or higher card. There is also a list of NVidia cards that work. So blammy on the Vista right now. I will wipe 'er down and keep XP. So be it for now. I am going to try and wipe it today. Quick question for the techno do0ds. Do I need a copy of the XP disc or what? I did not get one with the comp and will have to pirate XP Pro if I need one.

Thank you to one and all for the input.

Oh.....I ran a little program from Microsoft called Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor. That gave me the skinny on it all. Alot of ????? were there to about quicktime, nero, and such.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==