PDA

View Full Version : New gaming computer

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
March 19th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Looks like I'm going to get a new computer after all. I didn't really expect it and I may change my mind. But this is what I have picked out. My standard theory is to steal parts from my present computer such as CDroms, harddrives, powersupplies, and case. This keeps my overall $$ down and those things usually last a pretty long time anyway.

Asus A8N-SLI Premium http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813131540

AMD 3700+ San Diego http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16819103539

Corsair XMS 2x1GB DDR400 http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820145574

eVGA 7800GT http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814130249

I do have a question about the video card. I see there is a 7900GT for the same price and I assume that it is better. I didn't see any reviews that I could compare them and none of the 7900GT's are in stock. But I can and will easily change that if you guys recommend the 7900 over the 7800. Everything else I'm scavaging but this is a good step up from my 2500 Barton, 2x512 Kingston, and the ATI 9600XT I have.

Tell a brotha what to do?

HENK
March 19th, 2006, 02:17 PM
have you ever considered getting two identical cpu's?
like two 6800 ultras,i have a friend who has that setup and it is great and you can pick the 6800 up for pretty cheap.

Biggs
March 19th, 2006, 02:18 PM
what does the 2 cpu's do?

LA_MERC_Diesel
March 19th, 2006, 06:42 PM
he means SLI I assume

Ex I would go with the 7900 series if they are close.
love the 3700

Biggs
March 19th, 2006, 07:46 PM
personally, i would go with the dual juggarnuat vid cards. i here those cards are will take thier own prize, like your raincoat, then call you its hooker now.

LA_MERC_Spark
March 19th, 2006, 09:00 PM
I would look for the A8N32-SLI Deluxe.. it will be a good rig either way

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
March 20th, 2006, 02:39 AM
I have read that 1 7800GT out performs 2 6800GT's in SLI mode. I figured the 7900 was better and newer but the CPU clock speeds were slower and the RAM speeds were higher. That's why I wanted to see a comparisin between them. I'll go the 7900 route then.

On the A8N32-SLI Deluxe can I still use SATA I hard drives and CD-ROM drives? I see it only has SATA II connections and ATA connections and I have a 36Gb Raptor and 120Gb ATA100 backup.

LA_MERC_Diesel
March 20th, 2006, 06:38 AM
yeah if not going SLi I would not use the A8N32...I would save the cash and pick the board you got. either vid card will make you happy ex...keep looking at what the "difference" and any benchmarks.

LA_MERC_Spark
March 20th, 2006, 09:23 AM
well...I was just thinking that if you decide to throw another vid card in at some point, you will have the better mobo for it. Single card performance is the same. As for the sata drives. I have 4 raptors in mine, Serial ATA150, and have no problems.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
March 20th, 2006, 10:43 AM
My advice X is to pay the tad extra for an SLI board. I did and now I'm reapin ghte benefits of my reward. I recently ordered 2 7900GTX cards and since I went ahead and got an SLI board many many moons ago I don't have to replace my board when I go to put them in. Also, yes the 7900GT is better than the 7800GT. Don't go solely on clock speed. The 7900GT has some advantages over the 7800 in performance and if they are close in price I would get the 7900.

LA_MERC_Drifter
March 20th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Ex I just recenly bought that preimium board and it is an awesome board. That board will still allow sli configurations, they will just be split at 8 pipes per card unlike the 32 that has 16 pipes per card. According to the reviews I read the 32 is the best but that it is ahead of all software and that software will not use all the pipes until quite some time in the future, but hey it is the fastest thing out atm. From what I read software can't even fully use 8x agp right now. Here is one of the reviews I read about the 32. http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/news.html?news=MTc2NjMsTWFyY2ggICAgLDIwMDYsaGVudGh 1c2lhc3Q=

As for the video card I would definatly go with the 7900. The preview on Hard OCP show the 7900 kicking arse and taking names. Here is the link to that review. http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTAwMSwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

LA_MERC_Diesel
March 20th, 2006, 12:36 PM
ditto above :)

LA_MERC_Drifter
March 20th, 2006, 12:55 PM
OBTW The premium and the 32 have a 24 pin power connector on them so if you are going to use your old power supply you might want to pick up a 20 to 24 pin adapter for it, unless your ps already has a 24 pin connector on it.

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
March 20th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Thaks for the headsup on the power connector Drifter I think I only have the 20 pin right now.

Looks like this is the card I'm gonna get since it's already OC'd some and it's the same price as the 7800GT's.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150139

Oh yeah and for the nubs all those boards are Nforce4-SLI, just diffirent features. I really don't plan on getting a second video card with this system but you never know and this way I'm ready.

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
March 20th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Yet another question. Do you guys have any recommendations on different cooling options? I can't afford a new computer and to water cool so that's out of the question. With lots of luck and sweet talking the wife I might be able in the future. I wouldn't make any bets on it.

So what are some good air cooling options? The Zalman 120mm AlCu looks pretty good and I think I've seen good reviews on it. What about getting RAM sinks for my video card? This would only take like $50 more for a CPU cooler and RAM sinks so I'll probably get something. Any suggestions/reviews you can point me to?

HENK
March 20th, 2006, 06:13 PM
someone posted a water cooling system that was cheap and good.i think the Captain introduced it not to long ago,maybe you can afford that .

LA_MERC_Dirge
March 20th, 2006, 09:44 PM
I have excellent performance with the amd provided cpu fan and heat sink. I also have 2 120mm case fans that keep my case nice and cool. push and pull man. push and pull.

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
March 21st, 2006, 02:34 AM
I'm at 900 bucks and that's beyond my normal threshold right there. I've read up about water cooling numerous times so I want to get something that performs well but also goes with my case theme. (even though I have yet to finish that mofo and am still sporting the fashionable cardboard front panel) I want to finish my case as well. It's not much money I just get too distracted by gaming and family.

I seriously considered not getting a new computer and just buying a water setup for my present machine. But there's no way it would match up to actually buying newer stuff. So I'll hope I can buy a water setup in the future.

LA_MERC_Diesel
March 21st, 2006, 06:04 AM
yeah stock cooloing and all the new harware will have it smoking...in a good way :)

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
March 21st, 2006, 06:37 AM
My advice X is to pay the tad extra for an SLI board. I did and now I'm reapin ghte benefits of my reward. I recently ordered 2 7900GTX cards and since I went ahead and got an SLI board many many moons ago I don't have to replace my board when I go to put them in. Also, yes the 7900GT is better than the 7800GT. Don't go solely on clock speed. The 7900GT has some advantages over the 7800 in performance and if they are close in price I would get the 7900.

Whenever anyone can afford to spend 2 grand on just video cards, they can afford an extra 120 bucks for a new SLI board. If you don't plan on going SLI right away, don't. By the time you decide, something new will be out that will greatly increase performace over the old mobo's.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
March 21st, 2006, 11:58 AM
Whenever anyone can afford to spend 2 grand on just video cards, they can afford an extra 120 bucks for a new SLI board. If you don't plan on going SLI right away, don't. By the time you decide, something new will be out that will greatly increase performace over the old mobo's.

I don't know Tobisan. I was in the same dilema 6 or 7 months ago. I bought a 7800GT when they first came out. The GTX hadn't even been introduced let alone the 7900 series. I too debated on the extra 40 or so dollars between an SLI and non SLI mobo. I was very close to getting the exact same mobo as Dirge (non SLI) but at the last second said you know some day I may want to just add the second 7800GT for cheap and perform as well as whatever is new out and expensive. 6 months later I ordered 2 7900GTX cards. When they get in I won't have to change boards. It comes down to how likely you are to ever order very expensive dual cards. I never thought I would have been able too but I mentioned it to the wife a little while back and she said yes, woohoo. I came to realize later than she was planning on asking me for a trip to Chicago with her best friend from High School. She does pretty well so since the money wasn't to tight I let her go for a weekend in Chicago and in a few days I'll have my dual 7900GTX cards. Fair deal to me if you ask.

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
March 22nd, 2006, 05:00 PM
Ordered tonight. Gonna have to start backing up crap now.

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
March 30th, 2006, 02:05 PM
WOOHOO! Everything is here today! Actually got my stuff on Tuesday but I was waiting for the 20 to 24 pin power connector. Hopefully I'll get everything up and running tomorrow, Sat at the latest.

Can't wait to see the graphics.

Biggs
March 30th, 2006, 02:10 PM
woot have fun

LA_MERC_Onji
March 30th, 2006, 02:23 PM
be sure to re-run 3dmark06 and update your score :)

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
March 30th, 2006, 03:39 PM
be sure to re-run 3dmark06 and update your score :)

LMAO! I saw others scores and got skeert so I didn't run it at all. I might check it out though to see how much of an increase I'm getting.

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
April 2nd, 2006, 07:42 PM
Well I put the processor on and ram in place but I've run into a problem. Some of you may know I built my own case, trick is I never finished said case. The reason I never finished was because I needed to remove almost every part in order to do any work. Well I took everything out to get my motherboard tray out, which was a mofo, so now I have it in my head to finish this project. That said I haven't put everything back together and I'm thinking I've rebuilding my frame. Which delays the time before I can be up and running again.

SO.....I'm warring with myself as to finish my 2 year long case mod or get back to my gaming roots and to hell with the case mod. I figure I'll mess with the case mod for a week or so then give up and put it together so I can check out BF2's graphics with my new setup. If I can stay focused and work on the case I should be able to have it good to go in a couple weeks.

Only time will tell though.

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
April 7th, 2006, 05:31 AM
Alrighty then! I finished my back panel which was my main thing to remake and I decided to keep my present frame. I put a lot of time into that frame and I haven't figured out all the engineering for the new frame anyway.

I'll be gone until Sunday evening but I'll probably put up some pics and should be able to have my stuff in the case today and some of the programs loaded. Not going to paint the frame just use some vinyl carbon fiber stickers.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
April 8th, 2006, 06:03 AM
DAMMM I should not have read this thread, its got me itching... Oh the joy of upgrading.....

Twitch...Twitch...

Biggs
April 8th, 2006, 03:36 PM
yeah....i like uograding....X..hurry up and get that beast together so we can play some bf2

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
April 9th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Back from Lancaster today and I plan on putting my stuff together, had to pack on Friday. Barring any funkups I should be up tomorrow.

Daedelus
April 11th, 2006, 02:26 PM
wow never should have started reading this thread either now i just whant a new comp my self this old athlon almost done for. hey can you post price overall you speant on everything so far iam trying to convince my wife to let me do this soon maybe for my birthday in may. and i have looked at new comps in pc gamer adds and they look to be pretty good in the 1,100-1,500 price range i would like to keep it under 1,000 so that why iam more inclined to go with upgrades. thanks

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
April 11th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Well I keep CD drives and hard drives as well as my case and powersupply. So all I bought was motherboard, RAM, video card, and proccessor. My total was just under $900.

LA_MERC_Dirge
April 11th, 2006, 02:58 PM
w00t go go used hdd!

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==