PDA

View Full Version : U.S.eh?

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
February 12th, 2006, 10:22 PM
We are not performing like we were hyping. Shaun White kicks serious arse.

LA_MERC_Sabre
February 13th, 2006, 07:25 AM
I've watched some of it.... The luge was cool to see, and of course hockey. not really interested in much else. I'm looking forward the the skeleton too.

LA_MERC_LaTech
February 13th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Haven't watched but 2 minutes of the opening...

Never been that impressed with the Olympics, to be honest. It's just a global pissing contest to me.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
February 13th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Yeah, but atleast it levels the playing field a little. A lot of sports we don't have here are national sports elsewhere. I am personally looking forward to Wednesday....thw start of Mens Hockey.

LA_MERC_Sabre
February 13th, 2006, 09:12 AM
I've watched some of the women's hockey but there really is no point in watching until Canada and USA play in the gold medal game.....

I'll be tuning in via streaming audio for the games while I'm at work...

Canada plays Italy on Wednesday at 6 am......

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
February 13th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Sweet....Is this Italy's first ever mens team also or have they been here before?

LA_MERC_Sabre
February 13th, 2006, 01:00 PM
not sure...but I expect them to get spanked...lol...the only reason they are in is because they are the host country....they couldn't qualify based on quality.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
February 13th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Canadien women could prolly beat em. They beat the womens team 16 - 0.

HENK
February 13th, 2006, 03:38 PM
the only reason they are in is because they are the host country....they couldn't qualify based on quality.

btw thats not the way it works in the Olympics.
now i hope russia will kick your canadian arse team.
actually its such tough competition who knows who will make it this year.

LA_MERC_Sabre
February 13th, 2006, 03:55 PM
btw thats not the way it works in the Olympics.
now i hope russia will kick your canadian arse team.
actually its such tough competition who knows who will make it this year.

actually...it is..or at least that's what they said on the broadcast of the Canada VS Italy game. Italy is only in the tourney by grace because they are the host country. I'll have to do some googling to find out the truth!!!

Russia? pffft....much like the weak team USA...nothing but a pesky bug to squash along the way to the Gold!

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
February 13th, 2006, 04:14 PM
actually...it is..or at least that's what they said on the broadcast of the Canada VS Italy game. Italy is only in the tourney by grace because they are the host country. I'll have to do some googling to find out the truth!!!

Russia? pffft....much like the weak team USA...nothing but a pesky bug to squash along the way to the Gold!

Are F-in' Jokin or what. Lets get into the semantics of the fall of the canadien stronghold of hockey. They even call it their sport, but it was started in the USA. Drunken.....french......canucks! Why would you even step in front of the bus called american hockey. The old days of "grinder" canadien hockey is gone, say hello to the fast paced, score a sheit-ton of goals european/american style. I will get you some googlin' stats for ya all right.............to be continued..........

HENK
February 13th, 2006, 04:50 PM

if that is actuallyturns out right ,it will piss me off.

LA_MERC_Sabre
February 14th, 2006, 08:21 AM
OH YOU DIDN'T START THIS!!!!!

ok...lets' finish it now...

I'll list the top 15 scoring players in the NHL this season...including only players from Canada and the US.....cheers to you!

1. Thornton 81 pts CANADA
2. Staal 75 pts CANADA
3. Savard 72 pts CANADA
4. Tanguay 66 pts CANADA
5. Crosby 65 pts CANADA
6. Marleau 64 pts CANADA
7. Gagne 63 pts CANADA
8. Rolston 61 pts USA
9. Richards 60 pts CANADA
10 Spezza 59 pts CANADA
11. Kariya 58 pts CANADA
12. Horcoff 58 pts CANADA
13. Cheechoo 56 pts CANADA
14 Sakic 56 pts CANADA
15. Gionta 56 pts USA

Shall we continue with the comparisons between Canada and USA hockey?

I didnt' think so!!!!!

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
February 14th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Total medal counts for Olympic Mens Hockey all-time:

Canada: 14
USA: 13

Remember, this counts when we used 18 yr old boys and not pro athletes, like other countries. We have not been able to use Pro athletes but for what ~7 Olympics now.

Also lets look at % of players. Canada far outweighs the US born players in the NHL. USA owns about 14.3% of total NHL'ers and we own 20% of the top scoring leaders. Not bad.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
February 14th, 2006, 09:49 AM
The Rise of Professional Hockey
Hockey was a strictly amateur affair until 1904, when the first professional league was created - oddly enough in the United States. Known as the International Pro Hockey League, it was based in the iron-mining region of Michigan's Upper Peninsula. That folded in 1907, but then an even bigger league emerged three years later, the National Hockey Association (NHA). And shortly after that came the Pacific Coast League (PCL). In 1914, a transcontinental championship series was arranged between the two, with the winner getting the coveted cup of Lord Stanley. World War I threw the entire hockey establishment into disarray, and the men running the NHA decided to suspend operations.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
February 14th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Last Ten Calder Memorial Trophy winners:

canadien = 2
Usa = 4
KAZ = 1
Rus = 1
Sweden = 2

Again 14% but 40% of these?

Looks like the US are putting in some good skill into the Show. You can prolly add one tick for O' Canada for crosby. That is if the next "Great One" can catch Ove.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
February 14th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Plus as a hockey coach, which I am also, the last thing I judge my true good players by is scoring. A team with 6 30 ptrs is better than a team with 2 60 ptrs. Let us also take into consideration how many of the New NHL blood is coming out of American Schools and Hockey Foundations. Alot of "Canadien" players play here for quite some time before the show, all beit in semi-pros, colleges, etc.....American is american. Also, I would like to compare where Parizi and Crosby are in three years. I think Canada may be suprised where the next blessed one is.

LA_MERC_Sabre
February 14th, 2006, 10:11 AM
I never said US born players weren't good...just that US hockey as a whole is nowhere near the level of Canada hockey. There are plenty of good NHL'ers that are american born that could make Team Canada.

I see it first hand here in Houston. I'm a hockey coach and the skill level of the kids here is laughable compared to the same age kids in Canada....simply because they haven't had the amount of ice time as the northerners do. Plus, most Americans (not all) don't have the same passion for hockey and as a result...don't have as much skill. If an equal percentage of US people played hockey as the percentage of Canadian people...then the US would probably become a world power in hockey...sad that it will never happen though...

btw...my kids will play for Team USA when the time comes.

LA_MERC_Sabre
February 14th, 2006, 10:14 AM
']Plus as a hockey coach, which I am also, the last thing I judge my true good players by is scoring. A team with 6 30 ptrs is better than a team with 2 60 ptrs. Let us also take into consideration how many of the New NHL blood is coming out of American Schools and Hockey Foundations. Alot of "Canadien" players play here for quite some time before the show, all beit in semi-pros, colleges, etc.....American is american.

the same can be said about American players playing in Canada....I know of at least 4 teens here in Houston that are playing in Nova Scotia this season...

The fact remains that not many people play hockey in the US compared to the population....I'm doing my small part down here to change that :)

What age level do you coach?

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
February 14th, 2006, 10:17 AM
btw...my kids will play for Team USA when the time comes.

So will mine hopefully. I will have to outsource his hockey education to Minnesota or Michigan though. The problem with excellence in Hockey in the USA is that to many soccer moms are in the sport. We allow our youth to be mediocre in competitive sports. It is better not to keep score, than one team to feel inferior to another. What is there to strive for anymore?:tosser

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
February 14th, 2006, 10:20 AM
I asst. coach High School, and bantems. I also skate and help with the Termites and mite level groups. Youth hockey here is full of politics so I will not head a team where parents get you kicked if they don't agree with your philosophy. My good friend got kicked due to benching two kids for not listening and rough housing on the bench during the game. They were the top two scorers also.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
February 14th, 2006, 10:23 AM
N. Scotia seems like a great stepping stone for kids. I know 2 boys that played there the past few years, and came out pretty strong. We have a Junior B(NORPAC) and Junior A(NAHL) program here. It has been fun to experience the higher level of play and coaching assoc. with good programs.

Biggs
February 14th, 2006, 10:39 AM
'] We allow our youth to be mediocre in competitive sports. It is better not to keep score, than one team to feel inferior to another. What is there to strive for anymore?:tosser

omg dont get me started....they are even trying to get rid of dodgeball in schools, whats next.....duck duck goose, you kids cant play that game becuase my kid cant catch anyone,,,wha wha.....ahhhhhhhhhhhh.

those of you who listen to walten and johnson will call this situation the "Pussification of Amercia"

Biggs
February 14th, 2006, 10:42 AM
my nieghbors are from novia scotia and when i go over there, they make me watch hockey.....its actually a good sport to watch once you figure out what icing means....and i think they are getting rid of icing or something...i dunno

LA_MERC_Sabre
February 14th, 2006, 12:14 PM
lol Biggs...they got added the 'delayed offside' where the offending team has a chance to retreat out of the zone and re-enter without play stopping. And they also don't use the center ice line for two line passes anymore...both good rule changes....imo.

rook...I know what you mean about the score counting. My team (squirt level) get pwned every game...we've lost 8-0 , 13-0 etc... we havn'et won a game (17 games) and had a chance in but 2 of them. So I really do know what you mean....however, the kids don't really seem to get affected by the losing...it can't feel great, but for the most part they have good spirits.

Parents don't understand that hockey is progressively learned...you can't just throw a pair of skates on, grab a stick and call yourself a hockey player...

It takes first, learning to skate, stop and turn (could take years if slow learner)...then and only then should the kid pick up a stick. Most people are too eager for their kids to get out there....not knowing the injury risk associated.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
February 14th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Amen brotha! I house a kid from Minnesota, and he was allowed to touch a stick for his first year, half the time his second, and could only use wood sticks until 2nd year bantems. American parents want to see their kids shooting and scoring the first day......Bah! The middle of the road kids usually make the best older players.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==