PDA

View Full Version : Explanation....anyone?

LA_MERC_Sabre
January 25th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Ok...so if you read my post earlier that I need a PS from latech....well...

I get home and my wife told me that she reset all the power going to the computer and everything seems to have power..except my pc won't start up or do anything.

So in a last ditch effort I flipped the little power switch on the back of the case (ps) and flipped it back...and well...since I'm typing now, you can see that it started up.

She said there was a 'poof' sound...I'm guessing it was like a breaker in a house? I did't know that pc's did that....

LA_MERC_YellowDog
January 25th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Well as long as there was not a Poof "Smoke" then I would say you have a resetable breaker in the power supply. I would not be suprized if that is the case. Since even hair dryers, Vacume cleaners, and just about any household apliance has a restable breaker when they get hot, or draw too many amps.

If it dose it again you may want to look at getting another one, as there may be an internal reson that it did that,,,, So you dont cook anything else in the computer.

LA_MERC_Dirge
January 26th, 2006, 06:55 AM
Did you flip a breaker back? If you didn't, then it wasn't a breaker.

Maybe the breaker on the power strip?

Computers draw mucho amperage these days. All it takes is a couple of other things on the circuit at the same time to trip something.

LA_MERC_Sabre
January 26th, 2006, 07:12 AM
nothing has changed over the past 5 or 6 months on that circuit....I have all pc related stuff hooked up to a single power bar. All i did was turn off/on the little switch on the back of the ps...and I guess whatever happened was undone :-/

it works now...so I'm happy...

however, for a moment...I thought about telling the wife...'honey, it's all garbage, I guess I'll have to order some new stuff now" :)

But she was standing there when it booted up...doh!

LA_MERC_LaTech
January 26th, 2006, 07:36 AM
doh!!!

As for the pop...that's very strange. I agree with Dirge, though...if you didn't reset anything other than the switch...it wasn't a breaker (haven't seen a breaker on any PS that I've messed with before). There IS a fuse inside, but the PS won't work at all if the fuse is burnt out. How loud of a pop was it?

SweetGirL
January 26th, 2006, 07:58 AM
however, for a moment...I thought about telling the wife...'honey, it's all garbage, I guess I'll have to order some new stuff now" :) But she was standing there when it booted up...doh!

LMAO!!! Wife hax!!! Been there, done that - but I somehow converted over to the "Dark Side". I'd check out specials on NewEgg during the day and, when Pete got home at night, I'd say "Honey, didn't you say you need a new mother board? NewEgg has one for a good price - wanna get it??" lol Hey, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Surprisingly, I never got many diamonds or special gifts very often - it just felt good to know that he was happy to get new computer stuff.

Oh, my brother-in-law (oldest sister's husband) flies airplanes as a hobby or whatever; my sister was bytchin' (this was YEARS and YEARS ago) bc of all the time he spent away from home working his regular job but then flying all the time. So, being the male that he is (*cough* typical male *cough*), he bought some sort of flight simulator program, all the gadgets, upgrades, joystick, new pc, etc. He built a room adjacent to their garage, insulated it, painted the inside, nice carpeted floor, put in an a/c, small heater, new desk, the new computer, small fridge for beer & snacks, microwave, etc etc. OMG I just died laughin' when she told us about what he had done. She told me that she went in there one night before bed to ask him if he wanted to come in to "go to bed"; he said he couldn't break away from his flying on the pc, give him 10 mins. She said that 20 minutes later, she went in with a pair of scissors and cut the chord to his mouse and joystick! roflmao (I suggested next time she should just make a fish tank outta his tower haha). Not only does he still have his own private refuge/room away from the ongoings of the family, he plays his computer at night after all these years, & STILL flies planes with any other free time.

LA_MERC_Sabre
January 26th, 2006, 08:29 AM
I would be divorced if I pulled stunts like that...lol

SnAkEbItE
January 26th, 2006, 08:43 AM
That switch is the little 115/220 switch I'm sure, and some times those little buggers will kinda do a flip on you like what he discovred, but as a general rule they don't. I still would be looking to replace that supply, you can get decent one for like 30-50 dollers from new egg every day.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==