PDA

View Full Version : USB Problems

LA_MERC_LaTech
January 12th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Ok...This is a lengthy problem, so please bear with me...

So, a call came in the other day that Art (not Linkletter) was having a problem with his keyboard. He came back to his desk and the keyboard wouldn't work anymore. Someone went there, verified that the keyboard wouldn't work and changed it out for a new keyboard.

A couple days later, he called in again saying his keyboard wasn't working again. I went over there and verified that it wasn't working again. I unplugged the keyboard (USB) and plugged it back in. That "fixed" the problem. The keyboard worked again. I said in my ticket that if it happened again that we might want to replace his computer because of bad USB connectors in his present computer.

A couple days later, he called back up with the same problem. I went over there and switched out his computer for a brand new computer on which everything worked. I hooked up everything and it all worked fine. I installed his printer (USB), Keyboard (USB) and mouse (USB)...all of which worked fine.

A couple days later, he called again with the same problem. The only thing I could think of was that maybe he had a bad power strip or something. I took a brand new power strip over there and replaced the one he had. Everything seemed to work fine.

The next morning, we got a call with the same problem. I did a lot of research on the internet and found that there are times that agreed with my power idea...but more linking with USB and power than anything. I checked the power save settings, and they were right. So, I decided that maybe removing one of the USB devices might normalize the problem. I got over there and actually saw the computer drop the keyboard (Unknown USB Device message in the bottom right hand corner of the screen). I hooked the printer up via parallel cable and left it at that.

Two days pass with no calls...I think all is well. Wrong. I was just told that he's having the same problems as before. I just took a UPS over there in the hopes that maybe there was something wrong with his wall power and that it would level out the power.

Please bear in mind...this computer is EXACTLY like 100 other computers that are deployed all over campus...and his is the only one with the problem (his older computer was only 6 months old and there are 100 of those deployed with no problems). The computer isn't going into sleep mode. The power settings for the USB Root Hubs are correct. There is no specific program that he's running that will cause this (it's happened with him sitting right there).

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this and what else I can try to solve this problem?!

Frustrated...

LaTech

LA_MERC_Sabre
January 12th, 2006, 01:27 PM
my guess it the guy is doing something to the machine....like adding programs or changing settings...

LA_MERC_LaTech
January 12th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Well, he's the Vice President of the school...so I don't want to come right out and say that, but it's got to be something. There are no virus or spy-ware issues either...forgot to mention that.

LA_MERC_Skitsvelvet
January 12th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Is this Keyboard different from the others are is it the joe average keyboard that comes with the system? I have had similar problems in my shop.

LA_MERC_LaTech
January 12th, 2006, 02:26 PM
They both have been Dell computers with Dell keyboards...but two different models of each. If that doesn't make sense, let me know.

LA_MERC_Skitsvelvet
January 12th, 2006, 02:38 PM
GX270, GX280, SX280? Or different?

LA_MERC_Drifter
January 12th, 2006, 02:38 PM
try a keyboard that has a ps2 connection is the only thing that I could come up with. lol

LA_MERC_Skitsvelvet
January 12th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Did you check the power management tab for the USB ports themselves?

LA_MERC_Skitsvelvet
January 12th, 2006, 02:44 PM
If you don't know: go into Deive manager, go to USB Hub under ports, go to properties and check power management. Turn off shut off to save power.

LA_MERC_LaTech
January 12th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Its the GX520. Have checked the USB Hub power settings, and they are all set correctly. I would gladly try a PS2 keyboard...except this computer only has USB...

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
January 12th, 2006, 03:01 PM
LaTech, have you went into device manager and then usb root hubs >> Power Management and unchecked the option to let the PC turn power off to these devices to save power?

LA_MERC_Skitsvelvet
January 12th, 2006, 03:03 PM
You could try getting a USB to PS2 convertor. It is not the green adapter that you can put on a mouse but a Y cable that allows you to plug PS2 devices in. Usually it is one USB plug on one side and two PS2 ports on the other.

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
January 12th, 2006, 03:07 PM
wow, to many post.. I was thinking the same as Skits

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
January 12th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Also, you could try a powered usb hub

LA_MERC_LaTech
February 22nd, 2006, 02:20 PM
As it turns out, this is a problem with something with the Dell models GX270, 280 and 520. Below is what I posted in the Dell forums (for those that are interested)

Hello!

Just wanted to add my $.02 to this problem. I am a tech at a community college where we have roughly 400 GX280's and now GX520's. So far (and my fingers are crossed), I've only had this problem with 2 of the computers.

The things that I tried:

Replaced Keyboard
Unplugged and re-plugged in keyboard
Replaced computer
Flash BIOS
Replaced Keyboard and Mouse
Removed printer through USB and attached via parallel
Checked System Error Log
Checked Application Error Log
Created grounding strap to ground keyboard
Checked USB Root Hub power settings
Checked Hibernate Settings
Checked BIOS power settings
Replaced Power Strip
Installed UPS
Checked ground and voltage at the wall
Removed Unknown Device from Registry
Move PC to desktop
Installed USB extension cable
Installed PS2 keyboard with USB converter
Installed Powered USB Hub and USB keyboard

The last thing in the list was the thing that finally got it to work correctly (and by correctly, I mean "didn't lock up"). I wish there was a viable solution to this other than purchasing a $50 piece of equipment.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
February 22nd, 2006, 03:41 PM
You should have got a gatway, the Cow is much smarter then the "Dude your getting a DELL" , dude.

LA_MERC_LaTech
February 22nd, 2006, 03:51 PM
lol..."Mooooove over Dell dude..."

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==