PDA

View Full Version : Networking problem

LA_MERC_Andyconda
December 14th, 2005, 05:07 AM
I can't access one computer in a 2 pc network from the other. Here's teh scenario. I installed windows xp pro on 2 computers. These computers are connected by an ethernet hub. So it comes fom wall to dsl modem to hub and both computers connect to the hub. All hardware seemed to be installed correctly. Both computers can access the internet. I can see each computer from the other in the workgroup, BUT when I try to access one cmputer from the other it says contact system administrator you don't have the access. WTF, I am the system administrator and I log onto both computers with administration capabilitites, but it no worky worky. What up. The main reason I need to be able to access one computer from the other is that the printer is connected to one of the computers and we need to be able to print from both computers. Any ideas all you gurus.

LA_MERC_Skitsvelvet
December 14th, 2005, 06:06 AM
Do you have file and printer sharing turned on? To check click on My Network Places, under Network Tasks, to the left side of the window that opened up, click view network connections; if you have one NIC, Network Interface Card: LAN Card, should be labled Local Area Connection; Right click on the icon and left click properties; look at the middle of the window that just opened you should see Client for Microsoft Networks checked, etc...; scroll down, do you have the entry File and Printer sharing for microsoft networks, if so is it checked?

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
December 14th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Another thing to do is look at the Windows firewalls on each pc. Turn em off and then see if you can do anything. IF you can, then you need to be sure the File and Printer sharing is listed as an exception in the firewall.

LA_MERC_Skitsvelvet
December 14th, 2005, 02:24 PM
I didn't want to overload him too much.... :D

LA_MERC_Andyconda
December 14th, 2005, 03:23 PM
Build a fire, Huh!

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
December 14th, 2005, 03:52 PM
You are connected through a hub? Why not a switch or better yet, a router?

What ip addresses are you using on both computers? DHCP? Static?

LA_MERC_Andyconda
December 14th, 2005, 03:57 PM
It's not my network. This is a small local buisness and I'm trying to do a friend a favor. He has some ancient equipment. How do I check the DHCP and IP's. I'm not even sure what type of ethernet hub or DSL modem he's using. I'm going to stop by after work so around 5:40 I will be at his house if someone wants be online for help. How do I det up the MERC chat thing. Anyway I'm off work so we'll see if any of these ideas work. Thanks guys.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==