PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Network

LA_MERC_Andyconda
September 20th, 2005, 10:30 AM
How do I setup a wireless network. I have everything working fine. Westc DSL modem hooked to Linksys Router on a PC with a laptop connected using the wireless connection. But I want to be able to access the C drive on the PC from the laptop. How do I do that.

LA_MERC_Onji
September 20th, 2005, 10:51 AM
===On the PC===
1. open 'my computer'
2. Right click the 'c' drive and goto sharing, click on the 'if you understand the risk....' link
3. Put a check in the box 'share this folder on the network'
4. The share name will be C, thats fine.
5. Check the box 'Allow network users to change my files' if you want to be able to save files to this C drive from your other pc.
5. Click 'Ok' at the bottom. It will then set all of the permissions. This will take a while depending on how much stuff you have on the PC.
6. If the firewall is on, you may need to turn it off to be able to see the pc from the laptop. Goto control panel, you'll see firewall in there.

You need to get the exact name of the pc, right click on 'my computer' and click 'properties'. Click on the 'computer name' tab. Write that down.

===On the Laptop=== (there are 2 ways to get to the C drive on the PC)

1st way: Click on start-->run: type in "\\pccomputername\c" without the quotes, and hit enter. It may ask you to log in, just put in the name and pass you use to log into the PC

2nd way: (map a drive)
1. Right click on my computer and click on 'map network drive'
2. Select the drive letter you want to use from the top list.
3. In the path type in: "\\pccomputername\c" without the quotes, and click finish.
4. You'll now have a new drive in 'my computer' that will actually be the C drive on your other PC

(forget the whole, browse the network crap. This is the fastest, most direct way)

LA_MERC_Andyconda
September 20th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Your my hero Darren. You and Toby have taught me so much over the years and continue to do so. Thanks for the unparalleled tech support. I owe you a beer (or one of those orange drinks you and Toby loved) when we have the next LAN. I'm itching to as I have my new computer smoking now. I have an AMD64 3800+ CPU with 2 gigs RAm with an eVGA NVidia 7800 all on a sweet MSI NEo4 Platnium SLI mobo. In two months I get my 2nd 7800 and will run dual GPU 7800GT's with an extra 2 gigs for 4 gigs DDR 400 PC3200 madness. All this displayed on my new Samsung 8ms respnse 19" LCD flat panel monitor. Sweetness.

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
September 20th, 2005, 12:02 PM
I do see a major issue with sharing files on your local network like that. Since you did not secure your wireless router, anyone close to your home can receive a wireless signal from your router and then gain access to your network. Once on your network, they will be able to access your shared files just as you can.

btw, 4 gigs of ram would not do you much good at all, at least not until the next release of windows. Another thing, Viewsonic has a 4ms response 19" lcd :)

On closing, if you just like the thrill of buying high end computer parts, I can pm you my address.. haha

LA_MERC_Andyconda
September 20th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Ok correct me if I'm wrong. I mean, correct me I'm wrong, but since I'm using Windows XP 64 I should be utilizing all of 4 gigs of ram if I had it. Also what do I need to do to my wireless network besides MAC filtering and WEP of which I have both setup.

LA_MERC_LaTech
September 20th, 2005, 02:16 PM
If you could set up a DMZ, that should protect you from outside users. DMZ just like in Korea

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
September 20th, 2005, 03:19 PM
If you are filtering via mac address on wireless then you should be ok. I don't really like WEP and I may be wrong but if you have mac address filtering then you don't need WEP. Without the mac address being listed in the router, no wireless component can connect to it.

Windows 64 might show its using 4 gigs of ram but I doubt it will use it properly for gaming. Try to find a side by side comparison of someone running 4 gigs of ram compaired to 2 gigs of ram. I doubt it effects their gaming at all. Now, it might affect them running autocad or other programs of the same caliber. I would expect, maybe, a 5% increase in gaming performance. If that much. More ram doesn't equal more performance. It gives you more space for your computer to add/subtract those 1's and 0's.

Now hard drive access times are a major hold up, your pc can process all this data as fast as it wants but it still has to grap and put the information back on the hard drive.

LA_MERC_Dirge
September 20th, 2005, 03:43 PM
The argument I was told for WEP with MAC is that someone COULD clone your MAC. Odds on this happening at home at very slim though. One thing you could do is disable your ssid. Although sometimes this takes some extra configs on your notebook. Since it's uber delete, you might just leave ssid broadcast on

come on Andy, got Raid? U got just about everything else! lol

Oh, and LMAO at Tech. yeah, a DMZ just like Korea...

LA_MERC_Andyconda
September 20th, 2005, 03:56 PM
Oh yeah, forgot to mention the twin 160 Gb HD's running Raid. That alone was more setup time than the rest of the machine combined. I have realized that my PSU may be taxed. I have mobo, CPU, vid card, (Which by the way takes 2 additional power connections to the one with AGP 8X), two HD's, 5 additional 80mm fans, 2 cold cathod tubes, LED IDE cables that take power, LED's on the RAM Heat sinks, that require power, Two DVD drives, and my 3.5" floppy all runnning on my true blue 480 and lets just say that power is at a premium. I read on my mobo (by the way MSI is the best mobo to date I've ever used) has a minimum 450true watt requirement. My cmputer is heavy now. Also, Damn Toby is 4 ms that much better than 8ms, what can the human eye see. Lol. I'll go ahead and setup my Demilitrized Zone like Korea as it will be more likely for me to be able to accomplish, lol. Although, after building my latest machine you guys may change your outlook at UBER DELETE. I have finally put together a nice machine.

LA_MERC_LaTech
September 20th, 2005, 06:24 PM
lmao...I try...

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==