PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Woes

LA_MERC_Andyconda
September 7th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Ok I went into my router like Robby said and disabled DHCP and PPOE but I still can not get my wireless router to work. My wife just got her notebook so I need to get this running. Toby you said to post my model numbers and setup and you could help so here it is.

I have a Linksys WRT54G version 2.2
I have a Westell DSL modem with software version 3.0.88

I have no problems running the DSL modem but when I connect up the router between the DSL modem and the PC it doesn't work. I tried it the way the instructions say and I tried Robby's way where I went into 192.168.1.1 and manually disabled DHCP and PPOE in the router as he says the DSL modem has DHCP and PPOE capability. It didn't work and more than likely I'm not doing something Robby said as you must remeber. I am Uber Delete. Trying to become Uber Wi Fi Delete. Thanks guys.

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
September 7th, 2005, 11:43 PM
What type of Westell DSL modem? Also, is your DSL pppoe or pppoa?

LA_MERC_Andyconda
September 8th, 2005, 12:46 AM
Sorry, Its a model C90-610030-06 RevE
I'm not sure about pppoe or ppoa. How do I find out.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
September 8th, 2005, 12:47 AM
I think pppoe

LA_MERC_Mercy
September 8th, 2005, 02:58 AM
do this andy, disable the pppoe and dhcp on the westell, then hook it up to your linksys router. Go into the linksys router interface and setup either the pppoe/pppoa connection on the setup tab. put in your user name and pw and then save the settings. once it is saved, click on the status tab in the interface and look for login type. it should say pppoe/pppoa, under it, it should show if you are connected or not. If not, you will have a connect button. click on it. You should then connect. To make sure, look for the WAN ip address.

try that and see if it works.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
September 8th, 2005, 07:02 AM
What is the IP to bring up the window to diasble the Westell. The router was 192.168.1.1. Or in other words you have to tell me how to disable DHCP and pppoe on the westell. Where are you Toby? I need the numbered steps and illustrations.

LA_MERC_Mercy
September 8th, 2005, 07:07 AM
it should also be 192.168.1.1 but you can go to the dos prompt and run ipconfig. The default gateway will be the ip to get to the westell. Or if the westell is the same as the one centurytel uses, all you should have to do, is press and hold the reset button for 10 seconds on the back of the westell. That should disable the pppoe session.

LA_MERC_Mercy
September 8th, 2005, 07:09 AM
woops, one thing, you have to have the westell directly connected to the computer to get the default gateway to get into it

LA_MERC_Andyconda
September 8th, 2005, 07:32 AM
Ok, Ernie let me see if I got this right.
1. Take router out of the sytem setup by plugging the Westell directly to the computer
2. Reset Westell Modem to disable pppoe
3. Bring up explorer and type 192.168.1.1 and this will bring up a window for the westell modem so I can disable DHCP.
4. Connect the Router back into the system layout.
5. Run explorer again with 192.168.1.1 and enable the DHCP and pppoe on the router
6. go to the status tab and make sure its connected and if not hit the connect button.

Does that sound about right. Thanks.

LA_MERC_Onji
September 8th, 2005, 07:38 AM
Andy are you using Bellsouth for your dsl? If so it IS PPOE most likely, thats required. You have to use that and put your bellsouth email address and password into the linksys. And turn back on DHCP, you need that for the router to give all your pc's ip addresses.

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
September 8th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Ok, Ernie let me see if I got this right.
1. Take router out of the sytem setup by plugging the Westell directly to the computer
2. Reset Westell Modem to disable pppoe
3. Bring up explorer and type 192.168.1.1 and this will bring up a window for the westell modem so I can disable DHCP.
4. Connect the Router back into the system layout.
5. Run explorer again with 192.168.1.1 and enable the DHCP and pppoe on the router
6. go to the status tab and make sure its connected and if not hit the connect button.

Does that sound about right. Thanks.

1. Hard wire the Westell directly to a single pc.
2. Reset the Westell to factory defaults.
3. Log into the Westell firmware. This can normally be done by type the following in the address field.
http://launchmodem
http://192.168.1.1
http://192.168.1.254
The IP may vary but you can go to Start >> Run >> "type" cmd. This will bring up a dos window. "type" ipconfig. The gateway ip should be the ip you use in your address line of your browser.
4. Inside the Westell, follow the directions from this user manual to change the protocol from pppoe to Bridged or Bridged Ethernet. Also, disable DHCP but do disable DHCP as the last step.
http://www.westell.co.uk/support/downloads/ProLine_6100_UserGuide.pdf
5. Insert the Linksys router between the Westell and your pc.
6. Log into the Linksys router by typing http://192.168.1.1 in the address line.
7. Set the Linksys router to use PPPoE and then enter in the username/password that was given to you by your ISP and save settings.

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
September 8th, 2005, 09:12 AM
If your router interface does not match up with the provided userguide, please post screenshots.

LA_MERC_Mercy
September 8th, 2005, 12:52 PM
yes andy that is what you need to do..

LA_MERC_Andyconda
September 8th, 2005, 10:04 PM
OK, after several hours trying various things, this what I finally did to get it working. I reset the modem. Then I reset the wireless router. I plugged the modem into the router via the internet port. Then connected the router port number 1 to the computer. I then pulled up windows explorer and input 192.168.1.1. That brought up the linksys setup window. All I did there was enable pppoe. Now everything works fine, woohoo. I'm wirelees now. In fact this post was done while sitting on the sofe in the living room watching HDTV drinking a beer. My post total will sky rocket now. Thanks for all the help guys, Uber Wi Fi couldn't have done it without you.

LA_MERC_Mercy
September 9th, 2005, 03:04 AM
glad to hear it is working now andy...

LA_MERC_Drax
September 9th, 2005, 05:06 AM
great, now were gonna get post from andy while he's sittin on the throne.....

LA_MERC_Andyconda
September 9th, 2005, 07:11 AM
Look at the bright side. You won't be able to hear or smell anyhting.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==