PDA

View Full Version : Ok, WTH!?

LA_MERC_goose
August 21st, 2005, 07:58 PM
Ok, got my DSL up and running. Connection ain't bad either. The past two hours I have been trying to figure out why my Linksys router will not work with my Qwest DSL modem. Is there anything "special" I'm suppose to do - besides hook up the power to both, hook up a phone line from the wall to the modem, a cat 5 from the modem to the router and a cat 5 from the router to the computer (this is my lame way of saying 'it are all connected').

Any ideas?

LA_MERC_Dirge
August 21st, 2005, 08:32 PM
The ADSL modem has a built in NAT router. So it acts as the default gateway for your network, usually at 192.168.1.254 So in the linksys you have to configure it to work behind the modem's DHCP. I tried to get Andy's set up recently, but I was missing a setting somewhere. Toby or Onji would know more about it...

LA_MERC_Dirge
August 21st, 2005, 08:49 PM
Okay, I've been doinmg some extra research on this. Go into your linksys router and dsiable DHCP, designate an IP address, something not in use like maybe 192.168.1.10

Then plug the ethernet from the modem into a LAN port not the internet port on the Linksys router. Plug an ethernet from your computer into one of the other LAN ports.

Also, for XP, you have to tell it to connect even though the connection is not secure. Right click the little computer icon in the tray, view available networks, check the box "allow me to...".

This should make the linksys router work as a bridge

LA_MERC_Dirge
August 21st, 2005, 08:50 PM
Oh yeah, my problem with Andy's was that I was plugging the modem into the internet port. Makes sense that it shouldn't work that way now that i think about it. :doh

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
August 21st, 2005, 11:02 PM
Quest uses pppoa, not pppoe and they usually send out an actiontec device which is actually a router and not just a modem. Most of them have 4 ports on the back of the device which is simular to the linksys.

You really do not need to hook up the linksys behind the actiontec router. If you really have to use the linksys, you should set a dmz port on the actiontec and then assign the linksys router the same ip as the ip you assigned to the dmz port and then use the nat on the linksys to forward everything else.

Just remember that the actiontec and the linksys are basically the same thing except that the actiontec has a built in dsl modem where the linksys does not. Also, I believe the actiontec has a true spi firewall along side of NAT.

LA_MERC_goose
August 22nd, 2005, 09:15 AM
The modem I got was an actiontec but it only has one port on it - hence my problem. I have three computers in the office and I need to connect them all. I've tried to get into the Linksys settings via the 192.168.?.? ip address, which the user manual gave me but I can not get it to register. Oh well.

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
August 22nd, 2005, 09:27 AM
Goose, what is your exact setup, include the model number of your actiontec.

Also, you should reset your Linksys device and start over. Use the reset button on the back of the device. Power cycle it after you reset it.

LA_MERC_Dirge
August 22nd, 2005, 10:17 AM
Another thing is that when you connect to the router after being connected to the modem's DHCP, you have to release and renew your computer's ip to see the router.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
August 22nd, 2005, 12:03 PM
Did I catch a niner in there. I have a westec DSL modem and the Wireless G router. I'm going to try what Robby said and see if I can get it working. Much like you goose I ahve a westec DSL modem and the Linksys wireless G router and can't get them to work. When I get home I'll post the exact setup I have.

LA_MERC_goose
August 22nd, 2005, 12:57 PM
Model numbers and setup would have been nice - sorry, I'll add them tonight.

|Team Moped| Kripto
August 22nd, 2005, 04:28 PM
Goose, I had the same problem. My roomate and I had a ton of problems and are acutally buying a switch tonight for ours. If you have the same POS modem as us I should be able to help.

|Team Moped| Kripto
August 22nd, 2005, 05:01 PM
Ok, First of all, the crap-tiontec router sucks male parts.... So i hope you didn't buy it like we did. We tried to hook up my linksys router to it but we had some problems. We did get it to work buy turning off the actiontec's DHCP function and by turning off the wireless. This would allow it to work, but then after an undefined period of time it would loose the connection. We tried turning off NAT and redirecting the DMZ stuff... nothing. We gave up and sad F*** it. We are buying a switch tonight (in like 10 mins) to see if that works any better for us. I'll let you know how we do!

LA_MERC_goose
August 22nd, 2005, 08:04 PM
Actiontec: GT701-WG (1 port, & wireless gateway)
Linksys : BEFSR41 (4 port non-wireless router)

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
August 22nd, 2005, 10:07 PM
Goose, you can try the option that I listed before. First, use the actiontec on its own and record your primary and seconary DNS addresses that you receive from Qwest. Then go to the advanced configuration and DMZ hosting. Enable DMZ host ip and set it to 192.168.0.2. Now hook up your linksys to the Actiontec and reset only the linksys router. Go to Start >> Run and type cmd. This will bring up a command prompt. Type "ipconfig" and you should get a 192.168.1.100 ip address. Make note of the 3rd octet. The actiontec should be set to 192.168.0.1 by default and the linksys should be 192.168.1.1. If you receive a 192.168.1.100 from the ipconfig command, you should be able to then log into your linksys router.

Once inside the linksys router, the first thing you need to do is set it to Static ip mode. Enter in the static ip of 192.168.0.2 with a gateway of 192.168.0.1 and the DNS information you retrieved earlier. Save changes and your linksys router should refresh itself.

You should now be good to go. If by chance this does not work, you might be better off getting a switch to use behind the Actiontec.

|Team Moped| Kripto
August 23rd, 2005, 04:13 PM
I hope the router works for you... We just bought a Switch from Best Buy for 30 bucks (after mail in rebate it was 5 bucks) and plugged it in... worked the first time and everything.

Also one thing I have noticed with our modem is that it slows down over the course of a few days, so if you are having problems... unplug it and plug it back in. It fixes it's self.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==