PDA

View Full Version : Cap woes...

LA_MERC_LaTech
July 30th, 2005, 09:04 PM
Ok,

So, I went to change my computer from the all acryllic case back to my old Antec case (the stupid thing was REALLY loud with all the fans...I can now hear myself think) and noticed that 3 of the 5 large capacitors next to the CPU were damaged.

By "damaged" I, of course, mean bubbled tops with the "tar" substance contained therein leaking out the top. Now, I realize that someone with good soldering skills could, probably, remove the damaged caps and replace them with new ones...however, I am not esactly the best at soldering things such as this and am worried about mucking it up.

Are there other options? I've tried contacting the company (Soltek out of Taiwan...we'll see how that goes), but as I sit here, I can't help wondering how long it's going to be before they terminate. I CAN'T lose this system...it's got everything on it (yes, I lost everything a couple months ago, but I'm back up and I have NO money to buy a new board with).

Any ideas?! I can take pics if it helps.

LaTech

LA_MERC_Onji
July 31st, 2005, 08:51 AM
soldering isnt so bad if you take your time. You need to get some copper braid to remove the existing solder from the solder point, remove the cap, replace it and solder back in. If your not careful, you can make a mess of things. I suggest finding some old electronics laying around, and practice on them. I can help if you have questions.

SnAkEbItE
August 1st, 2005, 09:25 AM
Also if they are electrolitic make shure you put them in the right direction or well it won't be pretty.

LA_MERC_LaTech
August 1st, 2005, 03:16 PM
are we talking *fizz bang*?!

SnAkEbItE
August 1st, 2005, 05:45 PM
Yeah something like that, basicly all the smoke will come out of them and they won't work anymore.

|Team Moped| Kripto
August 2nd, 2005, 11:01 AM
I know it sucks, but it would be more safe to just buy a new board instead of the possibility of a *fizz bang* to other parts of the computer. But I'm a noob that doesn't know how to do fancy things like fix broken boards!

LA_MERC_LaTech
August 2nd, 2005, 02:49 PM
Well, I've decided I'm going to give fixing it a try. It can't get much worse than it already is before it dies violently anyway...so I have almost nothing to lose. Almost...

Now, to find some capacitors...

LA_MERC_LaTech
August 11th, 2005, 06:24 AM
Update: I finally contacted Soltek and they are sending me replacement capacitors. Now to brush up on my soldering skills!

Thanks to everyone's input and to good customer service at Soltek!

LA_MERC_LaTech
August 27th, 2005, 06:14 AM
It's now the 27th. No capacitors in the mail. And my MoBo officially died last night (while playing FarCry). I'm out of commission for a while (till I get paid and can buy a new board...or until I get some caps).

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==