PDA

View Full Version : Battlefield 2 Tour of Duty Announced

LA_MERC_Onji
July 22nd, 2005, 06:37 AM
EA's Battlefield 2 website <a href="http://www.eagames.com/official/battlefield/battlefield2/us/editorial.jsp?src=communityupdate_072105">has a new community update</a>, announcing their plans for Battlefield 2 Tour of Duty together with <a href="http://www.bf2combat.net/">Planet Combat</a>.

BF2 Combat, the Battlefield 2 Tour of Duty, is a unique community which will allow players to experience Battlefield 2 as never before. Featuring multiple ten-hour battles every week (of which members can attend as many or as little as they like) the Tour of Duty offers members a hierarchically-structured environment replete with cool features. During signup, people have the option of enlisting to fight for the United States Army or Marine Corps, the Middle Eastern Coalition Armies, or the People's Liberation Army. All divisions offer the same superior game experience. Players can elect to participate in a variety of programs, including an Army Ranger School designed by real US Army Rangers and a wide swath of qualifications. Perhaps the coolest thing about the Tour of Duty is that the world changes dynamically not only after each battle but also after each three month Tour. That means generals are able to decide what areas they will attack next, and the maps played will reflect these decisions. Members will also be able to bring their unlocked weapons in on battle day and will get priority selection for BF2 Combat's public ranked servers.

LA_MERC_Diesel
July 22nd, 2005, 11:50 AM
Holy smokes that has alot of potential...sweet!!

LA_MERC_Skitsvelvet
July 22nd, 2005, 12:14 PM
That sounds pretty cool. I would like to see how they pull it off though.

LA_MERC_Onji
July 25th, 2005, 11:50 AM
ok, found out some more about this, from a players point of view. gonna just quote them:

I was brave enough to go through the sign up for this recently announced "service" from EA. They have billed it as a Tour of Duty, which really boils down to a tournament for people to play in who aren't in, or don't have time for clans. I signed up for the $9.00 option (3 months worth). I figured if I liked it enough, I'd extend it, and if I didn't like it I was only out 9 dollars. Well, we had the first practice on Sunday, and despite some early technical difficulties with the server, I'd have to say it was hands down the most fun I've had playing a game online. It's one thing to have a squad which helps each other out...you get that from time to time even on public servers. However, having multiple squads working together was an absolute blast. I was leary at first, the sign up and then later assignment was a bit confusing. But these guys have been running this thing since 2003, its very well organized. Just wanted to let anyone who might have been wondering about it that it is very worth 9 dollars if you are interested in organized teamplay. My $0.02.

"who are "these guys" that are running it?"

There is an entire heiarchy of organizers...they were just guys who ran this thing privately for BF:Vietnam. EA liked what they did and they've paired up to make this an official EA service. Although EA's involvement in it is (best I can tell) technical support and advertisment.

"Do you have your own servers?"

They have a whole slew of BIG servers dedicated entirely to practice and the official matches, or battles as they are called. All 64 player. They have some special setups though that I've not seeing anywhere else...some kinda competition mod it looks like.

Yes its like buying your way into a clan. I signed up, picked an army to join...once there, you tell them what kit youre comfortable with and then they assign you to a "regiment". Really its like signing up for a virtual army recruiter. You go in and then they process you and tell you where to go, what to do. This happens for the US, MEC, and PLA.

You play against other poeple who've signed up for this and chose an opposing army. Yesterday for instance, we (US Marines) fought MEC.

Yes, there is a battlemap which is updated to reflect the outcomes of battles..for instance, if the US loses a bunch of battles in the middleast, they will be forced from the region...its a world war. There are also custom EA maps being made (some in the US i'm hearing if the war goes that way). It's very neat. If you decide to sign up I'll help get you where you need to go. Also important to remember, this isnt' about being a really skilled player. It's more about teamwork. Most of the guys in there are older, more mature. There is an age limit which is excellent.

There is some debate going on about the locked/unlocked status of weapons...I dont think an offical decision has been made. But me for instance, I almsot exclusively played sniper on ranked servers...i got really good at it. But I got assigned to a line company. This is where you attack and defend flags...so sniper kits arent exactly useful I played a medic at the request of the squad leader. A couple of times I got orders to spawn in as spec ops and take out some artillery, which was a fun change of pace. But people love the medic. CLEAR!

LA_MERC_Diesel
July 25th, 2005, 03:13 PM
$9 a month...sounds neat, Biggs would your guys like to do something like this?
I would only want to do it if a group of us could do it.

LA_MERC_Onji
July 25th, 2005, 03:23 PM
$9 a month...sounds neat, Biggs would your guys like to do something like this?
I would only want to do it if a group of us could do it.

no its $9 for 3 months

Biggs
July 25th, 2005, 05:51 PM
err, i could get a few guys. but i dont know about that deal anyway, when do you have to play? and what are the rules and stuff?

and also it seems you have to stick to one form of class and vehicle. i like to change between armor, helos, and jets so i dont know if i would like to be stuck as a support or assualt class.

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
July 25th, 2005, 08:40 PM
But it does ask for your preferred class and with a little showing off what you can do at the pratices you should be able play almost as you wish. Biggs and Diesel along with a few others are pretty good at anything that I've seen. My question is do you get points and get to keep them? Might be worth it just to check out the Ranger school and others like it to learn a little something.

LA_MERC_Skitsvelvet
July 26th, 2005, 06:03 AM
I would be willing to try it out. It would be sweet if we could have our own squad(s). I think we do very well together.

If I could just pilot Blackhawks, ferrying people around, that would be cool.

Daedelus
November 29th, 2006, 02:30 PM
it funny i had just seen something very similar to this on total war web sites. it was for the BF2 mod POE and had you picking to play either the russians or the german millitery just like the 2 teams in point of exsistance. and onece you picked the guys leading all this would ask what your specialty was so if you where best in armor or air sniper etc. then the would assign you to a squad with in the company with in the battalion. so you had a actual unit you where part of like an armor company. they said the battles usually lasted along time i thought they where like 10 hours. and the victor at the end. but they said you could play as much or a least time you whanted so you didnt have to dedicate your whole 10 hrs to playing. ill go read up and come back and post more as i get more info.

LA_MERC_johncst
November 29th, 2006, 06:38 PM
be nice if we could get all of us in on one team two or three squads. Biggs were the he!! have you been .

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==