PDA

View Full Version : which one

LA_MERC_Spark
April 21st, 2005, 01:58 PM
well.. my sorry arse excuse for a comp has been giving me problems for a long while. Finally it ate a stick of ram and shortly after let out the fart of death. Well sort of. First I reformated a while back. Didn't seem to help. Then I replaced the PSU about a 2 weeks ago. In the meantime I packed up the RAM and shipped it to corsair. They were kind enough to send me two new sticks. Got sticks in hand and a smile on my face... finally I'll be back to operating status! NEGATIVE! Comp locks up during mem check. Im like wtf mate? So I throw in some other known good ram and bam!! the same result. So i reset cmos settings and guess what? It booted! Until it came to loading windows when everything ground to a hault. rebooted and back to mem check fail. So I take the HDD out and put it in another rig a it boots with no problem. So Im back to where I originally pointed the finger long ago..... mobo. So I've been looking for something to replace the MSI 648 max. I'm down to two choices. Well really I know which one im leaning towards, but I thought I'd invite some opinions so here they are.

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127152

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131464

LA_MERC_Onji
April 21st, 2005, 02:25 PM
ive always been an abit fan myself, theyve been good to me

LA_MERC_LaTech
April 21st, 2005, 02:27 PM
While ABIT had a problem with their capacitors a number of years ago (BE6-2, BH6 era), they've been very stable of late. ASUS is also a very good manufacturer. It'll probably come down to person al preference.

npor
April 21st, 2005, 02:33 PM
I have an Abit IC7-G and it does everything I want it to. I would probably get the Asus if it were the same price as the Abit, but it isn't.

LA_MERC_Spark
April 21st, 2005, 03:09 PM
hmmm... some people say they've had problems with the fan on the north bridge dieing, but the reviews I've read put it ahead of the ASUS... not by a huge margin mind you but ahead at any rate. Anyway... ABIT is the one I'm planing to get. Hopefully this will hold me over until I can lay the smack down for a real upgrade! May go with AMD next go round! *ME SLAPS HEAD* Thanks for the input.

|Team Moped| Kripto
April 21st, 2005, 04:12 PM
I have really good luck with my ASUS, no problems here!

npor
April 21st, 2005, 04:19 PM
The fan on my IC7-G northbridge did die, but I found it better just to leave it off. It spins at 7k RPM so it has a bad whine, and the heatsink by itself works just fine. My northbridge is always slightly warm.

Texas_Lawdog
April 22nd, 2005, 07:30 AM
i am running a abit now and been very pleased.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==