PDA

View Full Version : remote desktop on a home network?!?!

LA_MERC_Dirge
February 13th, 2005, 10:05 AM
Does anyone have any suggestions why I am getting this problem?

Background:

I am trying to use Windows remote desktop to cnotrol my home media pc from my normal pc since it is hard to read the tv resolution.

I set it up everything per all the instructions and websites, but everytime I get this error:

I am running my network on a linksys router and I have forwarded port 8080 & 3389 to the media pc.

Help?

|Team Moped| Kripto
February 13th, 2005, 06:14 PM
I’m assuming that you took care of all the firewall settings both in windows and other apps?

LA_MERC_Onji
February 13th, 2005, 06:40 PM
use vnc instead http://www.realvnc.com

LA_MERC_Dirge
February 13th, 2005, 08:20 PM
yeah firewall is taken care of

vnc... whine

I was trying to use the easy prog.

I'll guess I'll let you show me how on Sunday? lol

LA_MERC_MadMAX
February 13th, 2005, 08:31 PM
VNC *is* the easy prog!

:)

LA_MERC_CS Widow
February 14th, 2005, 06:21 AM
I looked around and found these. Just trying to be helpful in a very naive way~

www.remotenetworktechnology.com/ow.asp?Remote%5FNetwork%5FHome%2FConnections

Here's some KB's to check out:
Q234319 - Client Registers a Second Terminal Services License After Clean Installation
Q271245 - Cannot Revoke Windows 2000 Terminal Services License from Client
Q187614 - Removing Terminal Server Licenses from an RDP Client

If your clients are W2k/XP Pro, licensing isn't the issue. If the client are anything else, it could be. There was an issue regarding client licenses being held on indefinetly, and there was a patch released for it. However, this patch apparently expires licenses after 90 days or so (which I think is too long.)

If you have a lot of non-W2K/XP Pro clients, check the TS Licensing server. You may find duplicate licenses for machines. Problem is, you can't remove the client license.

It seems if the computername is changed OR the computer is reformatted and the OS reinstalled the client would get another license (yet any ones it has before remains in the TS license server.) So, it used up more than 1 license. Some clients had 4 licenses (damn hardware failure! no luck with WD's hdd's so far). The solution: Microsoft reissued licenses at no cost.

That solved half my problem. The other half were W2K clients that were getting that message, sometimes it would work one day and not the next. As it turned out, the client software had gotten corrupted, reinstalled MS's msrdpcli.exe software and the problem went away completely. Been a month and it has not resurfaced.

To enable remote connecting:

Right click My Computer > Properties > Remote tab > "Enable Remote Desktop"

That enables it, it only works on Windows XP Pro & 2003 computers.

Next, a neat little trick, instead of starting a brand new session, if you want it to use the current logged in session (which is useful to me) do this:

Right-click the shortcut to the Remote Desktop (any shortcut to it will do, as long as you use it).

Next, click Properties.
In the textbox that says "target" add to the end " /console"

Nothing will change in the program but it will log you into the session already there instead of creating a new one.

Help at all?

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==