PDA

View Full Version : Lost my user config

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
February 8th, 2005, 11:24 PM
I turned off my computer last night and when I turned it back on it said that my user config was lost or corrupted and I had to boot in with a temperary account. So most of my icons on the desktop are gone and Zone Alarm tells me that I need to update like it's a brand new program. I have the generic background and screensaver. I'm basically baffled by this because I've turned my computer off in the last week with no problems and I haven't downloaded anything recently except an ebook from my brother. While this could be the culprit it's a book about weight lifting so I don't think it's too high on hacking lists.

This file is one that I have found on every drive so far $@sdntvt_optimize.tmp. I have no idea what this is but it is also on my raptor drive which I haven't put anything on yet. On my raptor drive there is also a folder titled RECYCLER, again I didn't put anything on this drive yet. I'm assuming it's a virus so any help would be appreciated. I was planning on a reformat here directly anyway so it's no big deal there. But I haven't burned all my stuff yet for a backup, so is there anyway for me to get these files so I can atleast burn them?

HENK
February 8th, 2005, 11:31 PM
GET avg free antivirus and run that ,then run norton or whatever else u have .that should take care of the virus so u can burn things and then reformat.

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
February 8th, 2005, 11:32 PM
Ok I googled the file from my last post and found that it's put there by Norton SpeedDisk and that you can't delete it. So I know where that came from.

But I still haven't figured out my main problem yet.

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
February 8th, 2005, 11:40 PM
Alright, I've opened Norton Antivirus and it says I had a full system scan on 2/4/05 and virus definitions were updated on 2/3/05. I know I downloaded that ebook and opened it Tues. or Wed. of last week. So I've had a system scan since I downloaded that.

Hmmm. Maybe the wife opened a virus in email. She gets a fair amount of it but Norton scans it all and she knows not to open anything from people she doesn't recognize.

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
February 9th, 2005, 10:07 AM
The Recycler is your recycle bin. It addes that icon to all drives but its usually hidden so you have to select the option to show all files to be able to view it.

Its good practice to turn off the Norton Speed Disk service. You basically only need it to run when you select it which is not often. Go to Control Panel and then administrative tools and services. Find Norton Speed Disk and go to properties of the service. Set it to startup Manually and then stop the service.

That should cover the 2 files. I'm not sure why your profile would just become corrupted.

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
February 9th, 2005, 11:57 AM
The only things that are "lost" are programs or folders that only had links through my desktop. Anything that I could get to through start>programs or through My Computer is still there. But if I drag a folder or shortcut to my desktop when I restart it loses that folder.

Case in point, my wife had dragged solitare to my desktop, now I can't get to solitare at all, because this took it out of my games folder. When I search for "solitare" I get zero results. But when I search for My Pictures I get 6 results, 2 of which I can not get too. When I click on either of the 2 I can't access this window opens...

C:\Documents and Settings\TEMP\Desktop\My Pictures refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the Internet or your network, and then try again. If it still cannot be located, the information might have been moved to a different location.

Also in the search box those 2 links come up as Folder, not File Folder like the rest of the results.

LA_MERC_Captain_Obvious
February 9th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Sol.exe is the program for solitare. I believe it's in the windows folder, but maybe in the system32 folder. also should be in C:\i386

sounds like maybe you locked the desktop? sounds like what happens when you have a manual desktop (or locked desktop) in a corporation. You can change things during your current session, but when you reboot everything you changed goes back to the way it was last time you booted. I'll look into it when I get home, but that sounds like it could be your problem.

HENK
February 10th, 2005, 10:58 AM
are the .exe files still there?

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
February 10th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Where would I look for these exe files?

I think it's either a virus or my hard drive taking a crap on me, had it about 4 years. I'm planning on a format regardless I'm just hoping to get my pictures off before then. Any good programs for finding lost stuff on a hard drive?

HENK
February 10th, 2005, 10:33 PM
well if u dont have programm .exe files ,the programm wont run.i had a virus like that and i still suffer the consequences .did u try avg antivirus,that helped me,and then norten did the rest.avg is good and free so nothing to lose trieng it.

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
February 10th, 2005, 10:41 PM
WTH is avg antivirus? How big is the file I'm only on dailup hopefully small.

I found a couple of the .exe files, steam and solitare, but I don't know the names of all the programs.

Basically I just want to get my pictures off and then I'm reformatting. Wife is mad about the pics, blames me. Well I'm good for something atleast.

HENK
February 11th, 2005, 02:39 PM
avg is like 12 megs,and well worth having on ur system anyways

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
February 13th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Something a little new is happening to me now.

When my monitor goes into power saving mode I can't get my screen to come back. I move my mouse around, which used to work, and I also hit some keys on my keyboard but it just stays asleep. I have to restart my machine via using the power button.

Is this a mobo problem or anything else I should check?

LA_MERC_CS Widow
February 14th, 2005, 07:33 AM
I downloaded AVG once and it was a disaster! When started, the computer immediately went into "loading windows" mode and you couldn't stop it. No antivirus program ever ran. Even if it was a virus causing it, it pretty much soured me on the program...lol

An easy way to look for .exe files is with windows search. Type *.exe and it should list every .exe program you have on your computer. Then just sort by whatever column helps you the most.

I would turn off hybernation and just let the screensaver come up til the non-responsive thing is figured out. Try Norton WinDoc and Norton DiscDoc. It never hurts to clean your registry and startup items.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==