PDA

View Full Version : Specifing a program to open a file type

LA_MERC_Mercy
January 25th, 2005, 04:03 AM
okay here is my problem, i setup a computer with firefox and winamp...now i have gone in and specified winamp to open any files that have .asf as the extension, but when i click on the file with that extension off a webpage, it comes up and ask what i want to do, open or save it. Of course i tell it to open it, and it will. But i wont the program to automatically open winamp and play the file.

Now this is doing the same thing in both Windows Media Player and winamp and also in both firefox and IE...anyone have an idea?

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
January 25th, 2005, 05:42 AM
I am having the same issue. Thought it was just me and excepted it.

LA_MERC_Dirge
January 25th, 2005, 06:14 AM
Have you right-clicked the file--> open with, then chose your prog and check the "always open with" box? Also, on the dialog to open or save, is there a check box that says "Always ask me about this file type" or something to that effect?

LA_MERC_Mercy
January 25th, 2005, 09:27 AM
yep...i have specified to open with everytime...no difference...still ask to choose the program and what to do..

LA_MERC_Captain_Obvious
January 25th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Yep, what they said. Also, have you downloaded the plugin for firefox that controls Winamp from within the browser itself? it's called Foxy Tunes 1.0 you can scroll down a little on this page (https://addons.update.mozilla.org/extensions/showlist.php?application=firefox&version=1.0&os=Windows&category=Popular) to find it.

LA_MERC_Mercy
January 25th, 2005, 09:39 AM
well im not trying to play fles saved on the computer, but to preview files off a website... i can play files off the HD without a problem.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==