PDA

View Full Version : USB Device is causing lock up

LA_MERC_Sabre
January 4th, 2005, 07:18 AM
I'm trying to convert my 8mm home videos (no not that kind) into digital to burn them on a DVD. I have a Dazzle DCV90, which is a USB 2.0 device that captures the video, along with software called Pinnacle. Whenever I start the program (pinnacle), my CPU gets up to 100% for a time, sometimes a minute or so, then it will go back down to normal.

I can start recording the video for anywhere from 10 second to a minute before my pc locks up.....I've searched on google for possible solutions, found many, but they all give me a headache...lol

I was wondering if any of you may have an easy solution??????

I have:

Win XP sp2
xp2400
1 gig ram
ABIT KD7A mobo (USB 2.0 compatible)
60 gigs of open h/d space

LA_MERC_LaTech
January 4th, 2005, 07:24 AM
Uninstall the drivers and software, then reinstall it BEFORE you hook up the device.

LA_MERC_Sabre
January 4th, 2005, 07:34 AM
well, that would be easier than re-formatting and starting completely from scratch, which was the plan for tonight.....Actually I'm not sure I even installed a driver for the device, I think it just installed itself through Windows.

LA_MERC_LaTech
January 4th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Yeah, that could cause a problem. Try that first before you F&RI

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
January 4th, 2005, 08:39 AM
If you have a via chipset and you probably do, try installing the USB 2.0 via drivers

http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2

LA_MERC_Sabre
January 4th, 2005, 11:42 AM
thanks guys, your help once again is awesome! I'm willing to bet that when I install the drivers (go figure) that it will run properly....

LA_MERC_Sabre
January 5th, 2005, 08:32 PM
one more question.....

I was about to format (cause I'm fed up with the damm thing) when I noticed on something peculiar on startup.....I changed my startup device to 'cdrom' to reinstall windows (i don't have SP2 on disk) and as it was loading i noticed this:

usb 1.0
usb 1.0
usb 1.0
usb 2.0

and there was some stuff along with it.....does this mean that only one of my four usb ports is 2.0? could this be my frustration?

SnAkEbItE
January 6th, 2005, 06:54 AM
Looks like it possibly.

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
January 6th, 2005, 07:09 AM
More than likely, thats not your psysical usb ports that its listing but its the usb controllers that its listing. The usb 1.0 controllers are your legacy controllers.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==