And when the band had finished,
St. Peter wiped his eyes
And said, “It’s not so hard to see
They’re meant for Paradise.”

And the colonel of the Cadet Corps said
As he stiffly took his stand
“It’s just another Corps Trip, boys.
We’ll march in behind the band.”

It was this poem that was read every year before the lighting of Aggie Bonfire. It is this poem that has not been read before such a bonfire for 6 long years.

At 2:42 am on November 18, 1999, outward stress of the bottom stack of the then to be '99 Bonfire exceeded the inward forces of the mechanisms meant to hold it together. Logs began to flower out towards the southeast, causing the second stack to shift laterally in the same direction. And then, seemingly instantly, the entire bonfire had collapsed, leaving 12 dead and 27 injured. What had been the single most revered traditon of them all had suddenly turned to tragedy.

And now here we find ourselves, 5 years later. Upon campus, there is still no bonfire, as the administration has chosen to wait at least until the settlement of outstanding litigation. Meanwhile, an off-campus, completely student-organized bonfire will soon burn for the third year running. The campus remains divided. Are we simply carrying on our most beloved tragedy as the families of the dead and assumingly the dead themselves would want us to do? Are we doing so in an even more dangerous environment now that there is no administrative support and input? Should we forego any and all semblance of bonfire until the University itself is ready to once again hold it on its campus?

One thing is clear. Five years ago, a campus came together in grief, and a rivalry between schools became, if only for a few weeks, a rivalry no more, but a football game between saddened friends. Texas A&M won that game 20-16. They haven't won since. Related? Doubtful. Football is football, and sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose. But lives you can only lose once, and it's something touching for two schools so embroiled in competition to remember that despite our differences, we're one and the same.

And so at this point, I urge you to remember the injured:

Nate Atkinson
Dominic Braus
Jennifer Calaway
John Comstock
William "Bill" Davis
Clayton Frady
Leslie Graham
Lanny Joe Hayes
Will Harlan
Britt Henley
Caleb Hill
Chad Hutchinson
Jody Jacobs
Paul "Alex" Jones
Brandon Allen Jozwiak
John Kramer
William Lyckman
Amy McLeod
Mandy Nakai
Matthew Robbins
Holly Rotenberry
Lauren Scanlan
Milton "Chip" Thiel
Bruce Unger
J.J. Washam
Jeremy Woorley
Derrek Woodley

And the dead:

Miranda Denise Adams
Christopher D. Breen
Michael Stephen Ebanks
Jeremy Richard Frampton
Jamie Lynn Hand
Christopher Lee Heard
Timothy Doran Kerlee, Jr.
Lucas John Kimmel
Bryan A. McClain
Chad A. Powell
Jerry Don Self
Nathan Scott West

All had their lives irrevocably changed while trying to do their part to uphold their school's greatest tradition.

Bonfire may have been a symbollic gesture towards our desire to defeat the University of Texas at football, but when it comes down to it, it was much more. It was the culmination of our relationship as Aggies, for we are all Aggies here in College Station, no matter our outward differences, and Bonfire's construction knew no ethnicity or religion or political preference or sexual orientation. It knew only Aggies.

The same can be applied to the world as a whole, and UT recognized this. Rivalries make for better sports. Togetherness and respect of your peers make for a better world.

I can only hope that, as Student Bonfire burns this weekend, those who had any part of its construction and in attendence remember that it means a lot more than just their "burning desire to beat t.u." It's the end result of the common bonds we as Aggies share and embrace.

Forget that, and 12 people died for a meaningless fire that celebrates a meaningless football game.

SaBeR512
November 17th, 2004, 04:18 PM
:vet:

LA_MERC_Dirge
November 17th, 2004, 07:10 PM
And a reanalysis of the engineering and construction engineering techology departments.

-FA- ManiacalClown
November 17th, 2004, 07:23 PM
And a reanalysis of the engineering and construction engineering techology departments.

The engineering of Bonfire was not fatally flawed until 1999, actually. Of course, since there were no set plans that were used year after year after year...

The failure was a result of several changes to the design from other recent Bonfires. First, there were no steel cables wrapped around each stack for support, and the steel wiring used to bind logs together was significantly weaker than that used in years past. Second, the logs were stacked vertically rather than leaning inward. Finally, a wedging technique to hold higher stacks in place was used much more vigorously in place of the usual steal cable method.

So the question is, why all these differences in one year?

LA_MERC_Dirge
November 17th, 2004, 08:16 PM
The real question is why they let a structure that tall be built under the administration of students rather than under the watchful eye of a licensed engineer or contractor. Not to belittle the poeple who died, but it seemed that they got lucky that it had not happened before it did. God bless the ones who died. And for the record, I hope they bring it back as it was a great college football tradition. Just the professional engineer side of me hopes they do it right and keep people safe. Factor of safety of 3, people.

LA_MERC_Sabre
November 17th, 2004, 09:02 PM
I concur, it iwas very irresponsible of the administration to let this thing go on without it being done with the utmost safety in mind. I wish that it didn't collapse, but I'm glad there weren't more tragically involved, it could have been worse.

-FA- ManiacalClown
November 17th, 2004, 10:08 PM
I'm in full agreement with the above. I would love to see it return, but if and only if it can be safe.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==