PDA

View Full Version : Beginning of another short story...

LA_MERC_LaTech
October 25th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Hey,

I just found this today. I started writing this one day and never picked it up again (go figure). It weighs in at slightly over 5 pages and is far from complete, but is a good picture of where I hope to be in 8 months or so.

The people and places in this story are real with the exception of Jessica and the other people in the hospital.

www.lamerc.com/uploads/Story1.doc

LA_MERC_MadMAX
October 25th, 2004, 01:25 PM
Good reading Scott!
I've said this before, and I'll say it again. You should do more with your writing...maybe you do, and just don't share much of it, but you really have a talent.

LA_MERC_LaTech
October 25th, 2004, 01:30 PM
I'm working on being descriptive and conversation writing right now (some of which is evident here)...so it will be interesting. Unfortunately, all the writing I do never gets "finished"...so it's just for fun right now.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
October 25th, 2004, 01:31 PM
I am the same way with my musical compositions - they never get finished :(

Silent_Killer
October 25th, 2004, 03:55 PM
im always up for a good story scoot and that was good. i like reading, now gimme more.

LA_MERC_RiverRat
October 25th, 2004, 04:56 PM
gosh dangit - friggin cliffhangers!!

I WANNA READ MORE!!!!!

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
October 25th, 2004, 10:50 PM
Pretty good dialogue Scott, and it's a good theme for your story.

I recommend reading a couple of books on writing, the three that I have read so far are, Stephen King's "On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft," Terry Brooks's "Sometimes the Magic Works", and William Strunk Jr. and E.B. White's "The Elements of Style." All great books with lots of writing tips from some of the best writers of today, and of the past, E.B. White is the author of "Charlotte's Web."

I'm attempting some writing myself which is why I know about the books and why I saw some of your errors. You wouldn't believe some of my feeble attempts so far, not as easy as I thought it would be. But it's something constructive for me to do and maybe someday I can actually get published. If you want to talk more about this I'm more than willing to talk Scott. I also will need someone to read my stuff when I'm ready to open the door on my work. Someone who will look at it from a writer's eyes and not just as a reader.

AIM - ch1ldNex1le
ICQ - 193209427
EMAIL - [email protected]

I'll be happy to help anyway I can Scott.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
October 25th, 2004, 10:54 PM
eX - i'll be glad to read any of your stuff. I love short stories - I had a hard time in college deciding between English and History - wound up picking History, but I took gobs of English classes - I had something like what my university called a "collateral" in english. Also, my first Cousin and very close person to me was an english major, and we shared stories and poems all the time.

My writing was pretty hard, a little too hard to post here, but if you'd like to read any of my short stores/poems, let me know. I may have to retype some of them, as I only have "printouts" as many of them were written before I had a REAL computer and was using "WordStar" on a 8088 IBM in DOS :)

LA_MERC_Drifter
October 27th, 2004, 07:48 AM
I want more!!! Don't leave us hanging here. There is way to much of this story left to just quit right there!!!

OBTW, that is a great start to what i think is a great story! keep up the good work!!

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
October 27th, 2004, 11:52 AM
Kewl deal Jayson, when I get something together I'll be sure to hit you up. If you want to send me some of your stuff my email is in my above post, or you can PM it.

Funny thing about me was I hated most of my English classes, stupid teachers and most of what is required reading is crap in my book. :)

fantasy g33k i b

LA_MERC_LaTech
October 27th, 2004, 11:58 AM
I hated English also. You could never write what you wanted to write (I remember getting an "F" on a paper because I didn't write about what the prof wanted me to write about). And, this is REALLY going to sound strange, but if I want to write something, I can't just go write. I have to cook or bake something, THEN I can write. I wish I understood the connection between the two, but until then, I'll keep cooking stuff.

LA_MERC_Diesel
October 27th, 2004, 12:08 PM
we understand Scott that you like to "cook the books"
..note to self check on Arma II funds :p:

LA_MERC_LaTech
October 27th, 2004, 01:08 PM
lmao...no no...that happened BEFORE...well, nevermind.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
October 27th, 2004, 02:10 PM
I enjoyed Lit. based classes much more than writing based classes as far as english is concerned...I'm a HUGE fan of short stories and short novels - Capote, Faulkner, Fitzgerald (The Great Gatsby is by far my most favorite piece of American Lit.), Poe, Flannigan, etc.

LA_MERC_Diesel
October 27th, 2004, 03:55 PM
I think I used the Great Gatsby for toilet paper when I finished it
Cliff's notes are great ;)

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
October 27th, 2004, 09:14 PM
The Great Gatsby was ok, British Lit. I had a sucky teacher so it wasn't fun, I only remember Beowulf, sorta. Shakespeare was wicked awsome though, much better teacher, we used to act out the scenes in class, lots of fun.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==