PDA

View Full Version : FIC VG61 Ice-Cube P4 Barebone

LA_MERC_LaTech
September 16th, 2004, 08:49 AM
Onji pointed this out to me the other day...a barebones P4 system from woot.com for $99. I told him I would post pics of it...so here they are (new project machine...and no, I won't forget about my other project...hehe)

LaTech

Iccey
September 16th, 2004, 06:14 PM
Very nice man

Captain
September 16th, 2004, 07:04 PM
La Tech Did you ever Use that Power Supply Unit i gave you that had the fan on it promising Lift Off for any case??? LoL

LA_MERC_LaTech
September 16th, 2004, 07:07 PM
lol...I did. It's presently in Alicia's computer...or rather, it was a while back. *shrugs*

LA_MERC_LaTech
September 17th, 2004, 03:30 PM
Pics from the inside and taking it apart.

LA_MERC_LaTech
September 17th, 2004, 03:39 PM
one more pic of the fan...

LA_MERC_LaTech
September 17th, 2004, 08:16 PM
primer on parts...

LA_MERC_MadMAX
September 17th, 2004, 10:00 PM
dat's pretty sw33t scott!

aCiD
September 18th, 2004, 06:58 AM
who wants to build me a PC :d:

LA_MERC_LaTech
September 18th, 2004, 07:37 AM
Acid, I have a dual PII 400 here you can have. LMAO!!!

edit: Wait...I just checked, there is only one CPU in there...doh!

Captain
September 18th, 2004, 10:02 AM
i have worked with sheetmetal most my life.. i wonder why i dont build a gnarly case... wait i know... bc i dont want anything to do with metal after work!! hahaha.. i will one day though.. gonna build it out of stainless steel.. TIG welded and not buff the discoloration out of the welds... so it will have that pretty blue streak lol

LA_MERC_LaTech
September 19th, 2004, 03:38 PM
Stripe is painted, and getting case parts done...and I'm pretty sure I've voided the warranty on several of the parts, if not the whole thing...doh!

LA_MERC_LaTech
September 19th, 2004, 03:39 PM
Alco, Onji, if you could get me the template from that guy...I know where I want to put a sticker...I just have to figure out what the sticker should be (beside the ones on the window)

LA_MERC_Onji
September 20th, 2004, 07:12 AM
lookin good man!, yeah i'll try to get it for ya

LA_MERC_LaTech
September 20th, 2004, 07:14 AM
One question, does anyone here know much about Plexiglass? How hard it is to round the edges? Drill holes?

LA_MERC_Onji
September 20th, 2004, 07:18 AM
One question, does anyone here know much about Plexiglass? How hard it is to round the edges? Drill holes?

Plexi ticks me off, but back in the day when I helped build a whole case out of one, i picked up on a few pointers.

1. For cutting plexi, try to sandwich the plexi between 2 pieces of wood to prevent splintering etc. (we used a jigsaw with a fine blade)

2. To drill holes: Use a drill on reverse on the highest speed.

LA_MERC_Spark
September 20th, 2004, 07:45 AM
Don't use plexi f00! Use LEXAND...

SnAkEbItE
September 20th, 2004, 08:01 AM
Well Tech could you tell us just what is your plan for modding it? You know like what do you plan on it looking like or what not.

LA_MERC_Onji
September 20th, 2004, 08:45 AM
thats secret! hehe

LA_MERC_LaTech
September 20th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Yeah, it's a secret...sorry.

Once it's finished, you'll know. ;)

I CAN tell you what the plexi is for, though! I'm removing the handle from the top and want to replace it with a piece of plexi so the painted metal is protected.

Lexan, from what I can see, is freakin expensive!

SnAkEbItE
September 20th, 2004, 10:51 AM
Oh it's one of those deals well I don't want you to have to shoot me so don't tell me..lol.

LA_MERC_LaTech
September 27th, 2004, 05:26 AM
Ok,

Well...as you can see, I've finished all the painting and stuff finally. I'm still working on some small decals for the windows (the dragon and the 3 pointed diamond thing on the sword from the movie...the movie being Kill Bill...). I replaced the top handle with a piece of plexi because I couldn't paint the handle the way I wanted to. And yes, that's supposed to look like blood...

LaTech

[uGa] Saint
September 27th, 2004, 11:00 AM
man, lookin saweeeeeeet!!

LA_MERC_LaTech
October 17th, 2004, 07:18 PM
Ok,
One more update on the Kill Bill Computer. I've since purchased all the innards for the computer and a keyboard and a mouse (Microsoft, black). After some deliberation, the keyboard and mouse were also Kill Bill-ified and now look freakin awesome (to me...and let's face it, that's all that really matters).

LA_MERC_MadMAX
October 17th, 2004, 07:33 PM
lookin good scott!

aCiD
October 17th, 2004, 07:41 PM
looks awesome man!

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
October 17th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Looks good Scott. I like modding myself it's just trying to find time to do the things I want to do. But that looks nice man.

Maybe splatter some blood on the keyboard and mouse too.

I used Lexian on my case, I broke the plexi that I had so just switched over to Lexian because it's so much easier to work with. I bought a big piece so overall it was less money then buying a couple of the smaller pieces. Sheesh I really need to finish my case, it looks like crap. blah.

[uGa] Saint
October 18th, 2004, 12:59 AM
now for the monitor.....

looks good man!

LA_MERC_LaTech
October 31st, 2004, 05:57 PM
It's ALIIIIIVE!!!!

LA_MERC_MadMAX
October 31st, 2004, 08:51 PM
w00t!

LA_MERC_LaTech
November 1st, 2004, 05:01 AM
Jayson,

I was going to ask you last night: I know there are major differences between monitors and TV's (duh). Is there any way that I can make is so that I can actually read the words on the screen vs just being really fuzzy things? I'ts something to do with the # of lines on the screen...but then, when I play a DVD, you can't tell the difference. Strange...

LA_MERC_MadMAX
November 1st, 2004, 05:59 AM
Scott - not 100% sure on this, but here goes. When you play a DVD, and or MPEG in media player, full screen, it takes your PC into Video Overlay mode - which is NTSC or PAL , and is 544 × 372 resolution (i think) - whatever the native resolution of a TV is...anyway - to get the desktop too look clear you would have to set the desktop at whatever the resolution of your TV is. You could probably look that up by the model number. I'm probably TOTALLY wrong on this, so if anyone knows better, please correct me.

Televisions use interlacing to reduce the bandwidth required for broadcast. While this makes the transmission more efficient, it tends to blur the image.

You could always invest in an HDTV :)

LA_MERC_LaTech
November 1st, 2004, 06:23 AM
Well, here's the dealio...

I'm using the TV out on the video card that I'm using, and I figured it would automatically realize that it's a TV, but the TV comes up as a default monitor. I've tried changing this in the nVidia settings, but it won't allow me to do this (I have yet to update drivers...so this may solve some issues...?). It's got a setting saying *Output to TV* but it's greyed out...figured. Also, it won't allow me to change the resolution on the TV (1024x768) nor the operating frequency (60 hz). Now that I think about it...1024x768 is almost double the operating resolution you have listed above, so it may be intentional...who knows.

Anyway, thanks for the help...I'll keep working on it.

LaTech

PS...no money, man! Can't buy a HDTV!

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==