PDA

View Full Version : screw politics--the real danger is eating a BLT sammich at work!!!!

JUNKY
August 5th, 2004, 10:53 AM
http://www.local6.com/money/3614199/detail.html

Woman Fired For Eating 'Unclean' Meat
Attorney: 'It's A Classic Case Of Religious Discrimination'

POSTED: 5:46 am EDT August 4, 2004
UPDATED: 2:53 pm EDT August 4, 2004

ORLANDO, Fla. -- A Central Florida woman was fired from her job after eating "unclean" meat and violating a reported company policy that pork and pork products are not permissible on company premises, according to Local 6 News.

Lina Morales was hired as an administrative assistant at Rising Star -- a Central Florida telecommunications company with strong Muslim ties, Local 6 News reported.

However, 10 months after being hired by Rising Star, religious differences led to her termination.

Morales, who is Catholic, was warned about eating pizza with meat the Muslim faith considered "unclean," Local 6 News reported. She was then fired for eating a bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich, according to the report.

"Are you telling me they fired you because you had something with ham on it?" Local 6 News reporter Mike Holfeld asked.

"Yes," Morales said.

Holfeld asked, "A pizza and a BLT sandwich?"

" Yes," Morales said.

Local 6 News obtained the termination letter that states she was fired for refusing to comply with company policy that pork and pork products are not permissible on company premises.

However, by the company's own admission to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, that policy is not written, Local 6 News reported.

"Did you ever sign to or agree to anything that said I will not eat pork?" Holfeld asked Morales.

"Never," Morales said. "When I got hired there, they said we don't care what religion you are."

Attorney Travis Hollifield is representing Morales in a lawsuit against the company.

"It's just un-American," Hollifield said. "It's not in compliance with the laws of this country."

Local 6 News reported that the case has precedent-setting issues because it addresses employee rights and religion in the workplace.

"It's a classic case of religious discrimination," Hollifield said. "They have not articulated a single reason other than religious reason behind the policy."

The CEO of Rising Star, Kujaatele Kweli, told Local 6 News that they have tried to create an office that accommodates anybody's religion -- not just Islam.

"Clearly you're accommodating," Holfeld said.

"Yes." Kweli replied.

"And you have an ecumenical philosophy," Holfeld said.

" Yes," Kweli replied.

"(Then) shouldn't you be able to accommodate all faiths in the same lunch room?" Holfeld asked.

"We do, we can," Kweli said.

"But you've dismissed one of your employees for eating pork in the lunch room," Holfeld said.

"Yes, pork is considered unclean," Kweli said.

The Koran forbids Muslims from eating pork. And according to Kweli, Morales and every employee at the company is advised of the no pork policy.

"Our point of view is to respect the laws of the land and the laws of the land as I understand it is to the accommodate people's right to practice their religions if you can," Kweli said.

"Even if it impacts other people?" Holfeld asked.

"Well, it always impacts other people," Kweli replied.

Orlando attorney Mark Nejame is close to the Muslim community, Local 6 News reported. He said Kweli's intentions may cross constitutional parameters, according to the report.

"They're making it seem that if you don't follow a certain set of religious practices and beliefs then you're going to be terminated and that's wrong," Nejame said. "If this case prevails, what it will mean -- the implications of this case -- is it will eliminate accommodations of religion."

Both sides are steadfast in their belief that they are right. Morales is taking the company to court charging discrimination, Local 6 News reported.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.

Copyright 2004 by Internet Broadcasting Systems and Local6.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

LA_MERC_Sabre
August 5th, 2004, 11:16 AM
so somehow watching someone eat pork is against their religion? lol...pathetic. I hope she gets millions from this company. And while they are at it, check them out for taliban ties.

LA_MERC_Spark
August 5th, 2004, 11:23 AM
So stupid man...

Silent_Killer
August 5th, 2004, 11:46 AM
that is just dumb

SnAkEbItE
August 6th, 2004, 07:05 AM
Well if they are Muslim, then you have to understand just how big a no no pork is for them, do I agree with their stance no I think that the Muslim "Faith" is a cult at least. Also I don't think that American's understand just exactly what their faith teaches them because, here we are given the "It's a Loveing Faith" just like Christianity which it is not.

Slayer
August 6th, 2004, 08:51 AM
Don't Muslims believe they won't go to heaven if they even touch pork? I think that's how they quelled an uprising a long time ago. They made the captured Muslims touch pigs before they were executed. Of course, there was no more Muslim uprising.

That case is still stupid.

LittleBunnyFooFoo
August 6th, 2004, 09:00 AM
ya, we should go to thier business eating bacon :stick

-FA- ManiacalClown
August 6th, 2004, 09:57 PM
I love how this thread, that had so much potential, quickly degenerated into racist trash.

That said, she better win her suit.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
August 6th, 2004, 11:24 PM
Well, I just find it how tolerent we " the united states " is supose to be of anyone no matter how they insult the core of our country.
This guy states

""Our point of view is to respect the laws of the land and the laws of the land as I understand it is to the accommodate people's right to practice their religions if you can ," Kweli said.

IF YOU CAN... what he ment to say was as long as it dosent bother them... then you have the right to, but if they dont like it then they can do what they want....

And these are the same FOOLS that danced in the streets when 3000 people were murdered on 9\11

SnAkEbItE
August 7th, 2004, 08:07 AM
']Don't Muslims believe they won't go to heaven if they even touch pork? I think that's how they quelled an uprising a long time ago. They made the captured Muslims touch pigs before they were executed. Of course, there was no more Muslim uprising.

That case is still stupid.

Yes if they come in contact with pork then they become unclean and can not enter into what they call "Heaven". There is a ritual they must perfrom to become clean wich is quit leangthy. Bottom line is that this case is very monumental because, of the relgious factor. Do company's have the right to fire based on relgious belifes. If this is goes through and the company wins then watch out because it will open the door for company's to start fireing people with that excuse everywhere.

LA_MERC_Shadow
August 7th, 2004, 01:08 PM
You can have a religious based company but the employees have to sign a document when hired saying that they will uphold that particular religions rituals at work. They had something like this with....I think...the salvation army. They are religiously based and have all employees sign such "waivers" and have fired a number of employees for not conducting themselves in a Christian manner. None of the suits has amounted to anything, from what I've heard (which isn't much). So if they didn't get her to sign anything then they're screwed.

CajunTech
August 9th, 2004, 03:26 PM
If what you are posting about Muslim's coming into contact with pork is truly thier belief then I don't understand why they fired her. Did she throw the bacon at them?

She should win this with ease if no papers were signed. Blatant religious discrimination. Isn't there some type of Freedom of Religion law?

-FA- ManiacalClown
August 9th, 2004, 04:37 PM
If what you are posting about Muslim's coming into contact with pork is truly thier belief then I don't understand why they fired her. Did she throw the bacon at them?

She should win this with ease if no papers were signed. Blatant religious discrimination. Isn't there some type of Freedom of Religion law?

...The 1st Amendment, perhaps?

Uther
August 9th, 2004, 09:32 PM
Well I hope the woman wins her case, and all the other people in the world that get fired for what they do outside of work.

I think they smeared pig blood and parts on those guys before they executed them. Kind of what our Army was doing in that jail in Iraq, showing them what hummilation will happen to them.

Slayer
August 10th, 2004, 01:22 AM
That's right. I remember that too. Then, they left one alive to watch it so he could go tell the others.

LA_MERC_Dirge
August 10th, 2004, 06:32 AM
It all depends on whether Florida is an at-will employment state. In LA, non-represented (union) employees are at-will employees and can have their employment terminated at any time for any reason. But I say we go and sprinkle pork rinds all over the front lawn of the business! Of course, we get a couple of bags for ourselves too! hehe

LA_MERC_Spark
August 10th, 2004, 07:00 AM
don't forget the spray cheese! Redneck cannolies! woohoo!

-FA- ManiacalClown
August 10th, 2004, 02:32 PM
But I say we go and sprinkle pork rinds all over the front lawn of the business!

Excellent plan. Fight ignorance with ignorance!

SnAkEbItE
August 10th, 2004, 04:27 PM
You guy's are talking about Black Jack Pershing.

LA_MERC_Shadow
August 10th, 2004, 06:42 PM
Dirge, Throw in some bacon bits, too.....or maybe we should rethink this we wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings..would we?...Yah, pork rinds and bacon bits definitely.

TruckGuy
August 10th, 2004, 09:29 PM
Now I know why them guys are so mad at us.
They aint never had the pleasure of a big old plate of country pit cooked BARBEQUE!!!
Any southerner around here will agree with me on that :)

LA_MERC_Shadow
August 10th, 2004, 11:52 PM
Bacon tastes good....pork chops...mmmmmm

Slayer
August 11th, 2004, 12:00 AM
Now I know why them guys are so mad at us.
They aint never had the pleasure of a big old plate of country pit cooked BARBEQUE!!!
Any southerner around here will agree with me on that :)

I hear ya man!

Uther
August 11th, 2004, 10:39 AM
hmm, baby back ribs

-FA- ManiacalClown
August 11th, 2004, 12:28 PM
If you want me, I'll be lining the lawn of my local Christian pro-lifer with aborted fetuses.

LA_MERC_Shadow
August 11th, 2004, 03:14 PM
Oooooo, I've heard they're good fertilizer.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==