PDA

View Full Version : need help from weight lifters

Swedish
August 2nd, 2004, 10:24 AM
im trying to get really buff. i want to gain about 15-20 lbs of muscle. anyone know if this is a reachable goal? or does it just sound crazy. im mostly looking to add upper body strength, so any work outs you know of would be helpful. oh yeah, i dont want to take any crappy power bars or shakes or anything.

LA_MERC_LaTech
August 2nd, 2004, 10:30 AM
Don't use machines...use free weights. Take lots of protein, or eat lots of stuff that has protein in it.

Suntrails
August 2nd, 2004, 10:34 AM
To help your define your muscles, do some sort of cardio workout (jump rope, walk/jog) to get rid of excess fat that can cover up the muscles.

LA_MERC_Sabre
August 2nd, 2004, 10:46 AM
20-30 minutes on the treadmill or bike to reduce fat %

Like tech said use free weights wherevever possible.
try the 'body for life' routine. Basically you pyramid through weights starting with light weight for 12 reps, going up in weight and doing 10 reps, then up again for 8 reps and up again for 6 reps. On the 6 repetition set, you should 'fail'...which means you can't get all 6 out. If you don't then, you need to go up in weight.

after that, pick another routine to work out that same muscle group, and do a set of 12.

Do this for all muscle groups.

I would start off with light weights to get your body used to the motions and such.

Swedish
August 2nd, 2004, 10:50 AM
sweetness, sounds like im gonna be "linebacker" size in no time

[uGa] Saint
August 2nd, 2004, 10:54 AM
start by lifting a box of donuts and a big gulp, then curl donut and straw to mouth (not at the same time obviously), rinse and repeat

LA_MERC_LaTech
August 2nd, 2004, 10:57 AM
lmao Saint...you rock man

Swedish
August 2nd, 2004, 10:58 AM
can sub the donut for pizza and the big gulp for beer? cause if so i should be on the right track by now

LA_MERC_Sabre
August 2nd, 2004, 11:04 AM
as long as it's Digourno and Molson Canadian...you'll be in shape in no time at all..

Silent_Killer
August 2nd, 2004, 11:06 AM
lol. get a weight, fastn the pizza to it lift it up, take a bite. secure beer to weigt, lift it up, take a swig.

Apocalypse
August 2nd, 2004, 11:10 AM
I know quite a lot about weight training. I'll start another thread later today when I have time and list possible routines, things you should always follow, and a variety of lifts.

LA_MERC_Sabre
August 2nd, 2004, 11:12 AM
haven't we just discussed the possible lifts?..sheesh where have you been?

Swedish
August 2nd, 2004, 11:22 AM
another question, do situps burn fat or gain muscle? or do they do both? i need a exercise to get rid of the gut.

LA_MERC_Sabre
August 2nd, 2004, 11:31 AM
here is a link for you:

http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html

Swedish
August 2nd, 2004, 11:38 AM
LOL

Quote from the site: Now you're probably scratching your head a little because—wait a minute—women don't lift weights! Well earth to you, sweetie, because they do and they do it well.

"well earth to you"... WTF doe that mean.

p.s. i do lift weights like a girl, so thanks for the link.

LA_MERC_Diesel
August 2nd, 2004, 11:55 AM
Black Swedes are very comical and confusing

Swedish
August 2nd, 2004, 12:15 PM
Black Swedes are very comical and confusing

im not black...yet...

what ever that means

LA_MERC_Diesel
August 2nd, 2004, 12:38 PM
Ohhh...not that there is anything wrong with that, I
thought your avatar was a self pic???

:)

Swedish
August 2nd, 2004, 12:46 PM
lol i wish i had a sweet fro like that kid. i just saw this picture on the internet and thought he looked funny. im pretty much as white as they come (except for those albinos).

Sniper
August 2nd, 2004, 01:20 PM
note to self, start new thread about how to become black.

Apocalypse
August 2nd, 2004, 02:17 PM
haven't we just discussed the possible lifts?..sheesh where have you been?

Quiet McFly...Can't you see I'm working here.

Benny_B
August 2nd, 2004, 02:33 PM
Hey, just wonderin, can anyone else here bench 450? (besides apoc)

Suntrails
August 2nd, 2004, 03:08 PM
p.s. i do lift weights like a girl, so thanks for the link.

Hey now, I <s>resemble</s> resent that remark!

Lol.

Omega_Prime
August 2nd, 2004, 03:38 PM
simple, first go get some creatine, after that free weights, bench press,deadlift,powerclean and squats, work out 3-4 times a week need to start by getting your max on all the lifts i said then workout on the cycle system by your maxes. jump rope, box jumps, dots, and the good old track and stadium you must do also. if your going to play linebacker you need all these things, my senior year i weighed about 186 i could bench press 275, dead 505, powerclean 240 and squat around 440 and the only way your going to get those maxes is by pure heart and not quiting. stay on the cycle program and dont over do the creatine. also eat right like others have told you. perfect example in the am id eat eggs and nothing but them, lunch i had pasta and then maybe in the evening eat a steak or something with like that with a baked potatoe.

Omega_Prime
August 2nd, 2004, 03:40 PM
also learn the correct forum on all the lifts you can hurt yourself bad if you dont, your powerlifting coach should be able to help you there.

[uGa] Saint
August 2nd, 2004, 03:41 PM
ok... the Saint workout plan part 2...

load up on steroids and wait for them to kick in... then go beat up kids for their lunch money to pay for the cost of the steroids you got illegally (remember, when punching, extend your elbow back as far as possible to workout as many muscles as possible)...

Apocalypse
August 2nd, 2004, 04:26 PM
Hey, just wonderin, can anyone else here bench 450? (besides apoc)

Haha, I'm working on it. I'm at 315. I'd say another 2 years and I'll have it.

On a side not* Where you been Benny?!?!?!??!??!

Benny_B
August 2nd, 2004, 07:23 PM
Where else would I be apoc, other than the gym of course!! yeah, like i said, i'm up to 450 now, but just for the heck of it, i'm gonna see how much i can put up with both hands

[uGa] Saint
August 2nd, 2004, 09:22 PM
benny, as your future roomate, its my duty to stop your delusions and let you know that we've been filling the weights with styrofoam all this time... you really just have the strength of a little girly girl... im sorry.

Swedish
August 2nd, 2004, 11:31 PM
sounds like i need to get a jump rope and start running laps to go with my lifting.

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
August 3rd, 2004, 08:32 AM
Well to go against the grain some, I use I technique that most people think is stupid or outright won't work. www.mikementzer.com is where you can get the books. I only work out 1 to 2 times per week and I get stronger every single time I go to the gym. How I know this to be a fact is b/c I keep a log of everything I do weight/reps. Here's the real kicker that throws everyone, I only workout for about 15 to 20 minutes each workout. I only do 1 set for each muscle group but I get to momentary failure in that one set, meaning my muscles can't lift the weight for a full rep. I can go into more detail if'n you want but one thing is fosho, lifting weights and most other things you do in life is all in your head. When you think you can't lift anymore you do another rep, then you do another rep after that b/c your brain tells your muscles to lift the weight. It's more of a head game then anyone thinks, myself included when I first started lifting.

If you want to look like a middle linebacker most of that is in your genes, you can develope your muscles a lot but if you don't have the genes it's virtually impossible to look like a bodybuilder. But again if you want it bad enough you can do most anything.

Benny_B
August 3rd, 2004, 10:39 AM
oh Saint, we all know that u couldnt lift all that styrofoam by yourself, what kinda trick u tryin to pull here

Swedish
August 3rd, 2004, 10:53 AM
If you want to look like a middle linebacker most of that is in your genes, you can develope your muscles a lot but if you don't have the genes it's virtually impossible to look like a bodybuilder. But again if you want it bad enough you can do most anything.

id say ive got the genes. 6'3" 270 right now. ive heard that doing really long and slow lifters helps more, because instead of using the momentum of the weights to get it up with a fast jerk, you have to actually be pushing it up the whole time. is that onw of the reasons you only have to wrok out for 15min?

LA_MERC_LaTech
August 3rd, 2004, 11:12 AM
When you lift free wights, don't drop them fast (for like presses)...do slow, methodical movements...consistancy is the key

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
August 3rd, 2004, 10:58 PM
Damn if I was only blessed with some better genes. Yes his theory is to go pretty slow during your reps, 4 seconds down, pause for a second or two, 4 seconds back up. That really limits the amount of weight that you can do, when I use the fast technique I can lift a whole lot more than the slow one. But this technique is used mainly for building bigger muscles, as you get closer to football season you will have to change your routine to get your muscles ready endurance wise. Strength is great but in sports you need not only strength but also endurance, so you should adjust your workouts according to what you want your end result to be.

Suntrails
August 4th, 2004, 09:49 AM
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to develop the muscles in my legs? I don't necessarily want to bulk up, but some definition would be nice. (Can women bulk up without steroids?)

LA_MERC_LaTech
August 4th, 2004, 09:57 AM
If you just want to tone, stairs and eliptical trainers. If you want to build, weights. That is, of course, just my opinion.

Suntrails
August 4th, 2004, 10:00 AM
Eliptical and stairs are cardio work outs. I want something that makes my muscles stronger. I'm just wondering if it's better to use machines with legs or if there are some sort of free-weight exercises that I can do instead.

It's hard for me to do stairs, too because of my bum knee.

LA_MERC_Shadow
August 4th, 2004, 10:01 AM
Women can bulk up without steroids it just takes longer. If you want definition then you have to do high reps and low weight for any muscle....I think they mentioned that earlier.

Benny_B
August 4th, 2004, 10:49 AM
I have a bad knee too, so i use ellipticals a lot. Most machines let you adjust the resistance, so if u put it way up u can actually get a good workout for legs. Otherwise there are some good weight machines for legs that wont put a lot of strain on the knees

LA_MERC_Sabre
August 4th, 2004, 11:32 AM
It's hard for me to do stairs, too because of my bum knee.

}{, get off her knee!!!! let the girl go.

The only way to 'bulk' up your legs is by lifting weights with them. You won't see dramatic size changes, more of toning your legs up by doing the eliptical runners. Which by the way isn't a bad thing for a girl :)

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
August 4th, 2004, 11:04 PM
I don't think that using an eliptical is a bad thing for a guy either, my favorite cardio machine. Almost no impact on your joints and you can go backwards and hit your gluts pretty darn good.

Swedish if you are really interested in lifting weights the best thing you can do is to try out a few different approaches and see what works best for you and what you like the best. Read up on all differents kinds of workout techniques so you have more knowledge of what you are doing and how to get where you want to go.

Knowledge be'th power'th.

LittleBunnyFooFoo
August 13th, 2004, 07:36 AM
:shootme: *sigh* the misinformation in this thread is hurting my eyes

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
August 13th, 2004, 10:24 AM
Please feel free to correct us.

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
August 13th, 2004, 10:30 AM
Suntrails, for safety and to help out with your form you should use machines at first, unless you can go to a local gym and ask the person who works there to show you how to do the manuevers in good form. You want to bulk up your legs then do squats, leg curls, leg extensions, and calf raises.

[sG] Dutchman
August 13th, 2004, 06:49 PM
ok I want ot get abs do I do situp beside i'm only 13 so what do I know :)

LittleBunnyFooFoo
August 14th, 2004, 02:04 AM
:whisperd: what would you like to know

[sG] Dutchman
August 14th, 2004, 11:26 AM
how to get abs :)

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==