PDA

View Full Version : Fishing for Redfish in Grand Isle

LA_MERC_Yankee
June 21st, 2004, 11:05 AM
Got my first chance to go fishing for some big fish down in Grand Isle. What a blast it was. We went to a couple of oil rigs right near the coast and had some great luck. The first day (Saturday) we caught 3 Red's. It was a little late in the afternoon so they stopped hitting right after we got there.

Sunday we went out around 7 AM and caught the limit by 9 AM. I caught one monster that was around 34" long and weighed about 11 lbs. We ended up throwing him back because apparently the meat on the big ones is not as tastey as the smaller ones. Here's a couple of pics with me and my first catch in the first pic. The others are just some shots of cleaning and my wife's Uncle Bobby with his fish. I like that pic because it gives you some idea of freakin big these fish were, because he's "comparing" it to the little baby.

Anyways. Yankee had is first real deep fishing excursion down here and LOVED it!!!!

LA_MERC_Diesel
June 21st, 2004, 11:11 AM
w00t!
dgj
the bull reds are so much fun!

LA_MERC_LaTech
June 21st, 2004, 11:45 AM
dang...that's not a fish...that's a space station!

Iccey
June 21st, 2004, 12:20 PM
i was in Grand Isle this weekend also lol was at the beach mostly did got Bull red Fishin at 11pm sat night didnt catch anyhting but nothting but dam sharks and Devil rays lol

LA_MERC_Nutria
June 21st, 2004, 04:21 PM
Mmmmm... barbequed redfish.. mmmm

LA_MERC_MadMAX
June 21st, 2004, 04:39 PM
That there's what we call a spot tail bass here on the SC coast...

Nice fish Reed!

LA_MERC_Dirge
June 22nd, 2004, 06:17 AM
A spot tail bass? LMAO Silly max...

I wonder what they call Tiger Reds there? LOL

LA_MERC_Spark
June 22nd, 2004, 07:16 AM
damn....Nice fish Reed!! I need to go fishing again..... dern shame to live in Louisiana and not take advantage... been about 8 years!!!

LA_MERC_MadMAX
June 22nd, 2004, 02:08 PM
Some transplanted yankee's call them "Redfish" or "Red Drum" but most of the old timers around here call 'em Spottail Bass Dirge...

How do you guys pronounce "Crappie"

do you say "CRAPpie"
or "CrAHppie"?

We are a "CRAPpie" state thank you very much :)

LA_MERC_Nutria
June 22nd, 2004, 05:24 PM
Man Spark I know how you feel. I'm just about 30 min away from fish like that and I never go. If I want to catch choupic I just have to go down the road. Never do that either.

LA_MERC_Dirge
June 23rd, 2004, 06:42 AM
Some transplanted yankee's call them "Redfish" or "Red Drum" but most of the old timers around here call 'em Spottail Bass Dirge...

How do you guys pronounce "Crappie"

do you say "CRAPpie"
or "CrAHppie"?

We are a "CRAPpie" state thank you very much :)

It's not crappie... It's perch or sac-a-lait. :D

LA_MERC_Spark
June 23rd, 2004, 07:15 AM
LMAO!

LA_MERC_LaTech
June 23rd, 2004, 07:23 AM
sac-a-lait

Is that French for "Throw it back"?

LA_MERC_Diesel
June 23rd, 2004, 07:57 AM
nope... sack of milk i believe
due to the white flesh.