PDA

View Full Version : Troy

}{y|3ri|)
May 17th, 2004, 09:00 AM
awsome movie, some parts a bit hokie, but all in all very entertaining.. they didnt get into too much about greek mythology, but it was accurate enough.

Heather and i gave it 2 thumbs up.

Suntrails
May 17th, 2004, 09:17 AM
Brad Pitt did a lot of staring off into the sunset and Eric Bana (who played Hector) pretty much mastered making the "Aww crap" face. And Orlando Bloom (aka Paris, aka Legolas, aka Will Turner from Pirates of the Caribbean) was just a puss. But they all made up for it by being pretty. Ladies - this movie is worth going to for the eye candy alone. Cheesy dialog? Who cares? Pretty boys!

Not that I noticed. Nope not me. I was definately NOT looking.

LA_MERC_LaTech
May 17th, 2004, 09:21 AM
Ok, note to self...don't see it.

Suntrails
May 17th, 2004, 09:22 AM
Awww come on. The fighting scenes were great. And Helen... wasn't bad looking.

}{y|3ri|)
May 17th, 2004, 09:25 AM
someone needs to stop editing my post...

LA_MERC_Sabre
May 17th, 2004, 09:27 AM
Ok, note to self...don't see it.

If i never see this movie...i'll be a better man for it. I'm really tired of the brad pitt thing. He is not even a good actor, but yet he gets all these roles. also, brad pitt is a skinny white boy made to look like some sort of gladiator...PLEASE!!!! I laugh and shake my head at that one.

not intended to offend anyone!!! just my opinion

eNdOfBeGinNinG
May 17th, 2004, 12:51 PM
well your opinion..SUCKS. haha j/k.. I'm not a big fan of brad either.. jealous? naw.. he just isn't the best male actor. BUT.. he was awesome in this movie. Sure there was a lot of "pretty boy" shots of him, but all in all he was really good. The fights were so good, better then anything I have seen. They just used so many different moves then the normal hack and slash movies. The girls were semi sexy, but I didn't go to see them..I went for the story line, and the blood. Only thing my wife and I didn't like about it.. was orlando was a big, as suntrails put it, wuss. Although he did get to use his godlike LOTR bow and arrow thing. So far I like this movie better then any movie I have seen in a long time. 2 thumbs and 2 toes up!

$pecto|2
May 18th, 2004, 12:34 PM
i liked it cuase mr.pitt actually got really mad and didnt 'back down' or 'hold back' like some 'good' main characters do. Guess cuase he may not have been the good guy, thought he may or may not of ended up that way (dont want to spoil anything :P )

i liked it so, 2 toes + a few thumbs up.

p.s. make sure you goto bathroom b4 u see, its a long movie.

:glass

[uGa] Saint
May 18th, 2004, 12:47 PM
I saw it last night and was dissappointed only cause it got hyped up so much. It was definetely a good movie, and brad is some eye candy for sure, i mean helen.... crap.

I give it two thumbs and one pinky toe

Silent_Killer
May 18th, 2004, 07:27 PM
I've siad it b4 ill say it agian, if Brad pitt is in it i am NOT going anywhere near it he is a Wuss. He is A.........*note to self* shut ur mouth b4 girls jump u

LA_MERC_LaTech
May 18th, 2004, 08:09 PM
Well...I don't want to see it for the simple reason that I can't stand Brad Pitt. He's seriously over-rated. I mean, he's got the looks, but he can't act worth squat. The only thing I've ever seen him in that was good was Fight Club. Then again, that wasn't his typical role, either.

I would compare him to a Marilyn Monroe...good looks, but no brains or talent.

LA_MERC_Dirge
May 18th, 2004, 08:34 PM
Man y'all are harsh on Brad Pitt.

I thought he was very good in a lot of movies: Twelve Monkeys, Fight Club, Se7en, Meet Joe Black, Legends of the Fall

I mean come on, he does a really good job delivering very believeable hyper-emotional scenes.

eNdOfBeGinNinG
May 18th, 2004, 09:30 PM
unless I am mistaken.. he has never done a movie like troy before. And he did a good job in my eyes. He showed a lot of anger in the movie, and pulled it off quite nice.

LA_MERC_Heater
May 19th, 2004, 08:43 AM
I've siad it b4 ill say it agian, if Brad pitt is in it i am NOT going anywhere near it he is a Wuss. He is A.........*note to self* shut ur mouth b4 girls jump u
Imagine that!Silent_Killer finally found a way to get girls to jump him... lol:stick

Seductive
May 19th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Imagine that!Silent_Killer finally found a way to get girls to jump him... lol:stick
uh...... no, I don't think so.

eNdOfBeGinNinG
May 20th, 2004, 01:00 PM
thats my baby..makin peoples feelings hurt, me so proud ;)

PaRaNoiD
May 20th, 2004, 01:37 PM
i work at movie theaters, lol, i watched troy once full time- and purdy much watch bits of it all day (along with every other movie) but personally, i liked it. brad pitt in interviews, seems like he is on LSD or sumthing - not in this world.. he aint a skinny white boy in this film.. he's a muscley, tan hot guy.. and i think he has some potential in battle/action movies (less talking role, more action)but if you movie go-ers don't wanna see troy- might I suggest van hesling? I like it alot.. very digital but very good (cept hugh's hair.. needs some de-permer or sumthing) but all in all good.
if you guys ever need an opinion on any movie- i see em all for free so just ask
(like Envy.. omg it sucked) :)

PaRaNoiD
May 20th, 2004, 01:37 PM
oh- and BD and lauren see everything free too, lol good ole me

-used-

-FA- ManiacalClown
May 21st, 2004, 07:43 PM
While the movie was certainly enjoyable to watch, it was rediculously unfaithful to the actual mythology, which greatly lessened the experience. Homer is spinning in his grave. 6/10

}{y|3ri|)
May 22nd, 2004, 11:55 AM
im on the same page as you clow

-FA- ManiacalClown
May 22nd, 2004, 11:02 PM
im on the same page as you clow

I wanted some Aphrodite, and I went home disappointed.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
May 23rd, 2004, 08:38 AM
As far as Hollywood movies go, you cant ask them to stick more to the story then they did with this one. I have seen Hollywood productions that totaly massacerd the original story just so they can make there own interpritation in a movie. I think its was as true to the story as anyone could exspect.

Silent_Killer
May 23rd, 2004, 01:33 PM
thats my baby..makin peoples feelings hurt, me so proud ;)

STUPID EOB AND LAUREN :beup: :yaheard:
j/k (DONT HURT ME)

Silent_Killer
May 23rd, 2004, 01:34 PM

DONT GET ME STARTED WITH U HEATER!

-FA- ManiacalClown
May 25th, 2004, 04:00 PM
As far as Hollywood movies go, you cant ask them to stick more to the story then they did with this one. I have seen Hollywood productions that totaly massacerd the original story just so they can make there own interpritation in a movie. I think its was as true to the story as anyone could exspect.

I can't agree.

Merdawk
May 26th, 2004, 09:22 AM
oh- and BD and lauren see everything free too, lol good ole me

-used-

I get to see em free to, but only when i let paranoid go on my puter to play cs lol.

Haven't seen it yet, hope to soon, batlle scene looked like one from lotr rotk which my sister watched 3, or was it 4 times yesteday.

And I agree with paranoid...envy sucked :shootme:

Seductive
May 26th, 2004, 09:50 AM
lotr rotk which my sister watched 3, or was it 4 times yesteday.yea, dont let her wear out that movie before BD and I get to watch it! ;p

Merdawk
May 26th, 2004, 09:57 AM
yea, dont let her wear out that movie before BD and I get to watch it! ;p

lol, too late i believe. She's going to buy a new dvd/vcr thing for her room, so we'll never see it again :sad:

}{y|3ri|)
June 2nd, 2004, 09:37 AM
Things wrong with TROY

- Helen of Troy was really known as "Helen with the fair hands". At this time, having nice hands was concidered very sophisticated, classy as you would not have been involved in manual labour.

- Plague was not the reason for the dead "greeks" left on the shore with the horsie.

- Paris was known as the best archer (in the known world), Odyssevs was the second best. In the movie, his achilles-heel hit was shown as more or less a lousy shot.

- Hector wasn't delievereed back in 1 piece. His head, arms and legs were all cut off and placed in different locations so his retrieval wasn't as easy as in the movie. This was to deny him his place in hades' kingdom.

- Achilles had a son. He is mentioned as one of the better fighters at the end of the 10 year "siege".

- Achilles himself lived most of his life dressed up like a woman. His mother, who knew the prophecy of him being killed if he ever engaged in battle, would not have him involved in any of this.

- The Amazons, warrior women from south, attended the battle of troy and were their leader was said to be Achilles' "first and only true love", something he discovered upon slaying her (bad timing, but oh well)

- Ajax, the strong warrior did not die in battle. He threw himself at his spear after he was taken by madness and tried to fight Odyssevs for "lootrights" (hectors armor I believe it was).

- Agamemnon himself did not participate in *any* of the initial battles. These were led by Odyssevs, Ajax and Achilles

- Odyssevs was described as a rather *short*, but strong man. In the movie he's about the same height as achilles who was supposed to be *far* taller.

- The movie leaves out *several* of the important war-leaders who were present and fell. Menelaus was described as a pretty good fighter. He was not...

- Priam was bold. No hair left on his hair, but in the movie he looks like he's wearing Richard Geres tupè

- Triremes wasn't even invented at the time. *several* boats were mustered fishermanboats and even small ferries.

- A siege is when you surround a city, not when you camp the beach 2 kilometres away. Troy was never denied access to their fields (outside the city gates) and no travel caravan was stopped. How would they survive for 10 years without food?

- The horse was not left on the beach! it was left close to the city wall and the trojans came out to get it when they saw the ships were leaving.

LA_MERC_Dirge
June 2nd, 2004, 09:45 AM
picky picky lol

Somebody's been visiting the movie facts nitpicker's website! LMAO

Suntrails
June 2nd, 2004, 09:46 AM
- Achilles himself lived most of his life dressed up like a woman. His mother, who knew the prophecy of him being killed if he ever engaged in battle, would not have him involved in any of this.

Well Brad did wear dress/skirt for most of the movie. And did have long flowing hair. And was always clean-shaven ...

LA_MERC_LaTech
June 2nd, 2004, 09:48 AM
yep, that constitutes living as a woman to me. The question, for me, then would be...did he shave his legs?

}{y|3ri|)
June 2nd, 2004, 09:51 AM
picky picky lol

Somebody's been visiting the movie facts nitpicker's website! LMAO

im not talking to you! We are at war sir!

hey dirge... look a present...

Seductive
June 2nd, 2004, 09:54 AM
them's fightin' words! ;p

LA_MERC_Dirge
June 2nd, 2004, 09:56 AM
Oooooohhhh

I would rather have a rabbit though. Oh well, I guess I'll take it! Fectha-da-mush! Fectha-da-mush!

LA_MERC_LaTech
June 2nd, 2004, 09:58 AM
Next time, let's build a giant badger.

LA_MERC_Dirge
June 2nd, 2004, 10:01 AM
Here's ome more... :p

Goofs for
Troy (2004)
Continuity: When going into formation on the Trojan Beach, Achilles has a flaming arrow stuck to his shield. In the shot from Achilles' point of view, the arrow is nowhere to be seen. It is then directly in the line of Achilles' sight again as Achilles and his army move out of formation to attack.

Revealing mistakes: When Achilles introduces his cousin, Patroclus, to Odysseus, King of Ithaca - his wooden training sword is in the foreground. The tip and edges are worn, revealing that the sword is in fact plastic and simply painted to look wooden.

Audio/visual unsynchronized: Throughout the film when Hector, Paris, Achilles and Menelaus all draw their swords, we hear the metal scraping as they are pulled from their shields - Yet we can see that the interior of the shields are cloth lined and the loops that hold the swords are leather, not metal.

Revealing mistakes: Just before Achilles says "You gave me peace in a lifetime of war", thaw camera is focused on Briseis's hair where the netting from her wig/extensions is clearly visible.

Anachronisms: There are modern clasps on the necklaces.

Errors in geography: The sun is shown rising in the north-west (over the sea).

Revealing mistakes: When the sun is shown rising over the sea, there are no shadows. The shot has clearly been filmed at magic hour and the sun superimposed later.

Continuity: The Greeks prepare to brand Briseis in the dark of night, yet the next shot shows the sun setting over the Aegean Sea.

Continuity: When the Trojan army is attacking the beach at night with the fire and big grass balls, they initially shoot the fire with arrows. When the grass balls roll through the fire, the arrows are suddenly gone.

Incorrectly regarded as goofs: To kill Hector, Achilles uses a spear. When Achilles is dragging Hector back to camp, we can still see the spear sticking out of him. In the next shot, when Achilles is within the camp, the spear in Hector is gone. Hector is dragged for many miles, it is very likely that the spear either snapped off or fell off by the time he reached the camp.

Continuity: When Paris first shoots Achilles, half of the arrow goes clear through his heel. Later, when Achilles is dying, the entire arrow is only protruding out of one side of his heel.

Anachronisms: At the beginning of the movie a couple of llamas can be seen on the streets of Troy. This is impossible since these animals are originally from South America and were unknown in Europe until the 16th century AD.

Factual errors: When the boy goes to find Achilles for him to go fight the enormous warrior from Thessaly he tells him that "the Thessalonian is huge". He should have said "Thessalian". A "Thessalonian" would be someone from Thessaloniki, a city that was not founded until many centuries later (4th century BC) by Alexander the Great in honor of his sister by the same name.

Continuity: When Achilles leaves to challenge Hector, his chariot is pulled by two black horses. When he ties Hector's body to the chariot, at least one of the horses is brown. When he arrives back at the Greek's camp, both horses are black.

Continuity: In the tent, Achilles is standing watching the lady sleeping on her back. In the next shot, we see the legs of woman sleeping on her stomach.

Incorrectly regarded as goofs: It is our policy to exclude differences between films and their source material as goofs, nevertheless, you might be interested to note the following divergences from Homer's account of the war: - The movie suggests that Troy was sacked about a month after the Greeks landed; Homer's "Illiad" has the siege lasting over ten years. - Menelaus was not slain by Hector; he outlived him and was one of the soldiers in the Trojan Horse. He was eventually reunited with Helen and they apparently lived a happy life until his death in Sparta many years later. - Agamemnon was not killed by Briseis at Troy; he survived and returned home only to be killed by his wife Clytaemnestra and her lover Aegisthus. - Patroclus was not Achilles cousin he was just a close friend. - Achilles was killed by a single arrow shot by Paris, way before the Greeks built the horse. - Priam was killed by Neoptolemos, son of Achilles. - Patrokles was deadly wounded by Euphorbos and Hector then cut his throat. - Ajax was not killed by Hector, instead he committed suicide, after slaughtering a flock of sheep, which in a bout of madness he mistook for the Greeks that had refused him the armor of the dead Achilles. - Paris died of a poisoned arrow shot by Philoket. - Astyanax, son of Hector, was thrown to his death from the walls of Troy by the victorious Greeks. - Andromache, wife of Hector, was taken as a slave by Neoptolemos. - Aeneas was a son in law to King Priam and the second in command of the Trojan forces. So Paris asking him his name at the end of the movie is rather strange.

Continuity: When Paris goes forward to talk to Hector on the ship to Troy, his cloak is wide open at the top. During the rest of the scene, the top closes up without him touching it.

Revealing mistakes: The sand has obviously been raked over from previous takes when Achilles returns from his fight with Hector.

Errors in geography: Near the beginning of the film, a subtitle declares that we are in "The Port Of Sparta". Sparta was land-locked

Continuity: In the scene where Hector catches Helen trying to leave Troy and they start talking, Helen's hair can be seen as having a small pony-tail when we see her from behind, but when we see her from over Hector's shoulder her hair is clearly all loose. Her hair changes between shots.

Anachronisms: In the funeral pyre scenes, characters are seen placing gold coins on the eyes of the deceased. While this was a common practice in Greek culture, currency in the form of coins was not invented until the Lydians began minting coins of a confirmable value (because of the use of a touchstone - hence the term) circa 600 BC - 700 BC. This is far after the timeline of the battle of Troy.

Anachronisms: The umbrella used to shelter Paris and Helen during the parade in Troy is obviously modern, as it includes metal spokes like modern umbrellas.

Continuity: When the Greek fleet is sailing towards the shore, it is said that Achilles' sail is black. When his ship is on shore and he leads the first attack against the Trojans, we get a glimpse of the bottom of Achilles' ship's sail: there, it is a dirty white.

Revealing mistakes: In the raid of troy, several soldiers can be seen as merely acting out the stabbing of people.

Audio/visual unsynchronized: When the Greek soldiers advance across the beach to Troy (leather sandals on sand), the audio is that of loud, succinct marching.

Plot holes: The Trojans build a wooden horse and pull it on several tree trunks. But where were all the trees they would have needed?

Revealing mistakes: When Paris enters Helen's room after the dinner, he gently pulls her hair so that it all lies on her back, behind her shoulders, exposing her neck. When she gets up, it is around/in front of her shoulders again which could have happened while getting up but then after a quick shot to Paris, Helen once again has her all of her hair tucked back behind her shoulders.

}{y|3ri|)
June 2nd, 2004, 10:36 AM
just had to one up me huh? To the War Room!!!

LA_MERC_Yankee
June 2nd, 2004, 10:39 AM
Can't you folks just enjoy a movie??

Suntrails
June 2nd, 2004, 10:41 AM
I'm not naming names. But someone has too much time on their hands.

LA_MERC_Dirge
June 2nd, 2004, 11:07 AM
Or they just know where to go look... ;)

}{y|3ri|)
June 2nd, 2004, 12:37 PM
i know where you can go!

disney world.. where else? =p

Seductive
June 2nd, 2004, 12:39 PM
huh! i wanna go!

}{y|3ri|)
June 2nd, 2004, 12:48 PM
ok after the war is over we can all go... but first i must distroy dirgeville!

Suntrails
June 2nd, 2004, 12:49 PM
Me, too! Road trip to Florida! :drive

LA_MERC_LaTech
June 2nd, 2004, 12:50 PM
Hey! Nobody gets to go to Florida! *unless I get to go, too*

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==